Did you mean: 

4G SIM for router - Broadband backup

biscuits99
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

My broadband provider went down for 24 hours recently, and I thought as a backup solution I could get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-MR6400-Unlocked-Configuration-Required-External/dp/B016ZWXYXG/?th=1

But does O2 sell a 4G sim that I can just add data to when I need to (when an unplanned outage happens with my broadband provider). I dont want something that has a fixed monthly cost if I just use it for 1 week a year.

I presume I could buy one of these?

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=phone+big-bundles

"You can roll over up to 100% of your monthly data allowance. For example, if your monthly allowance is 7GB, you can roll over a maximum of 7GB into the next month. You need to keep the same Bundle or plan and renew on the same date each month, or your data will expire."

I dont quite get the "renew" element above though, what do you need to renew on Pay As You Go?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145073 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@biscuits99 

You can only use a data only sim in one of those devices.

The options are here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=freeSimIpadsTablets

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 145073 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@biscuits99 

You can only use a data only sim in one of those devices.

The options are here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=freeSimIpadsTablets

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 10

biscuits99
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the link. On that page, it has a link to:

https://www.o2.co.uk/tablet-sims

Is that what I need to use - so I'd pick the 12GB option so that its valid for 12 months - then it would be ready to go as soon as I needed it? Then if I used 12GB I can just top it up online somehow - I'm assuming the SIM wouldn't have an associated phone number?

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 145073 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@biscuits99 

Yes, that will work fine.

All sims have a number allocated as some services still require a number even if they cannot accept calls.

Texts and data services can still be used.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 10

embee99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think any of the tablet sim solutions given are anywhere near a 'good' deal. The current 15Gb for £25 only lasts 90 days. All the 'rollover' stuff is essentially monthly contracts. I know of no PAYG that can be activated as a backup solution (ie in a 4g modem/router) on the fly AND lasts indefinitely. I think BT used to have them as "Classic PAYG" but they got dumped. The most flexible I know is 1pmobile where you get 1mb/1p and top up every 4 months with £10 and the data/balance just accumulates - at the the end of year one you have 30gb in credit. For some people, that's a months usage. At the end of year 2 you could donate the £30 to charity using a text message. I set up an elderly friend with this for an emergency mobile phone and at the end of 2 years just gave the balance to Cancer Research. A win-win.

Message 5 of 10

biscuits99
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yeah, O2 now seem to be £60 for a year

biscuits99_0-1698251252294.png

Message 6 of 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6426 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@biscuits99 

If you shop around, you'll find data-only SIMs available with more data that has to be used over two years for a cheaper price. However, before buying, you'll need to check that the network in question is up to scratch in your location. 

For example, search Argos for "Three 24Gb PAYG Data SIM Card". 

Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10290 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3024 Solutions

@biscuits99 

Best place to look is Scancom, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/B642852E-E890-42A9-8F5E-CD0B02949144?ingress=0&visitId=f6b6ad4e...

80GB Data on 3 till 2026 for £75

They also do o2, EE and Vodafone sims as well, and I have one of there 40GB sims in my laptop...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 10

biscuits99
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, looks like Amazon has quite a few good offers on long lasting sims.

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6426 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@biscuits99 

Just make sure that, when shopping around, you don't buy an expensive SIM without trying the network in your location first.

Get a cheap PAYG SIM and if you are happy with the network, then buy a more expensive SIM. 

@madasaf1sh mentions Scancom ; they sell both via their own website and via Amazon. It might be worth comparing the two. 

Also, if you are not in a rush, Black Friday might be a good opportunity to pick up your SIM of choice at a good price.   

Message 10 of 10