cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to uprade from an ordinary Nokia phone to one of the new smart phones. Why do I have to pay the fee for O2 refresh in order to do this?.  I have been on contract with O2 for many years

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to uprade from an ordinary Nokia phone to one of the new smart phones. Why do I have to pay the fee for O2 refresh in order to do this?.  I have been on contract with O2 for many years

You have to pay if your current contract has not reached it's minimum term.

Once you reach the minimum term you can upgrade without an upgrade fee,

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  Welcome to the forum

O2 refresh is a good way to get a new phone on contract....You could buy a phone outright if you have a fair bit of money and go for a sim only contract....but Refresh is a pretty good way of getting a brand new phone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 refresh is a different type of contact but the cost is broadly the same.

On your existing contracts the cost of the handset is sort of hidden in the overall price. With refresh the two elements are separated but the overall cost is broadly the same.

If you then wanted to change your phone you no longer have to wait 24 months from date of contract. You just pay off the device part. If you wanted to change network or just not have a mobile anymore you are not committed to 24 months. You just pay off the phone part.

There isn't any real difference in cost overall.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous If however you really want the old type of contract then pop along to the likes of Carphone Warehouse who can also upgrade you but not via the refresh route. You can stay on o2 that way as well and sometimes they may even be a little cheaper if that is important to you.

www.carphonewarehouse.com or pop into your local store.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to pay if your current contract has not reached it's minimum term.

Once you reach the minimum term you can upgrade without an upgrade fee,

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Pat82. When you talk about a fee for refresh, do you mean paying for the handset?
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm assuming that's what he means @Anonymous
Message 7 of 7