Did you mean: 

o2 wifi calling

Ryko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi...

Just joined o2 for the promise of o2 wifi calling.

Have set it all up (iphone8) and pretty sure it's done right, get the o2 WIFICall displayed top left of phone.

problem is still getting bad voice quality/losing calls altogether

called o2 help and they say it's cos a mast is down in my area.

surely the whole point in wifi calling is that when there's a bad signal (including when a mast is down) the call goes over wifi/the internet meaning the mast being down shouldn't matter?

couldn't get the support person to understand/answer this question

i do get a signal most of the time it's just a very poor/intermittent signal and i can't help but think the call is swapping between o2 and the internet and the instances when i lose connection it's on o2. 

while i'm at it how an earth does 4G calling work?! surely when u are not getting a signal to make a voice call you can't get a 4G signal either?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Ryko 4g calling is just better quality when you have a 4g signal, it is not a replacement for no signal. WiFi calling is dependent on the quality of the WiFi signal connected to.
Using WiFi calling in an area with a mast down should not give poor quality, assuming your WiFi is good.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Ryko
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks

Makes sense regards 4G, although in my experience whenever you have a 4G signal you also have a good signal for making calls so i don't really see the point?

anyway that is not my focus!

You have confirmed my thinking regards wifi calling ie the mast being down should make no difference (also i only get poor coverage in one room of my house, outside of that room all is good, sadly that one room is also my home office and good voice signal is critical)

is it possible that the phone starts a call with wifi, then detects an ok signal, switches to the o2 network then goes down? if that is the case is there a way to make it stay on wifi calling?

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If it starts the call on WiFi it should remain unless WiFi drops out.
Have you tried on different WiFi connections to see if there's any difference?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Ryko
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wifi connection is v good (always 3 barsm, the router is v near to my office and no thick walls) so i don't think it is that but will try next time in actual office vs home office.

in the last couple of hrs it does seem to have settled down and now permantly on 'wificall' vs going back to the 02 network so maybe t issue has fixed itself?

if the problem reappears is there a way to force the call to start a wifi call and stay as a wifi call? 

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There's no option for that on iPhone, only on Android.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Ryko You can activate airplane mode then enable Wi-Fi in airplane mode Wi-Fi calling then works fine tested on my iPhone XS 

A78D3831-A2B5-4DB3-8986-310381A499CD.jpeg

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 9

Ryko
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks

That works although i'm still having issues, dropped a call earlier whilst on wifi calling, full wireless signal. i'm starting to worry that basically it's not very good....

Message 8 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Ryko I have intermittent issues on Wi-Fi calling but usually down to being to far from the router or too many others using the Wi-Fi at the same time 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 9