Did you mean: 

o2 number has ended up on vodafone

rm24uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi to all 

Friend of mine at work today came to me at work to tell me he is unable to make calls, send texts etc, i called his mobile number it started to ring yet his phone didnt make a sound eventually ending up on the vodafone voicemail which puzzled me as i know hes on o2 

He then showed me an sms/email regarding a pac code request which had been given by o2 he tells me he didnt request this so thought nothing of it

Upon investigation it seems his o2 sim only contract has been cancelled and cut off, his number is now on the vodafone network can anyone explain how someone else has gotten access to his pac and allowed this to happen? he assures me that he hasnt requested any of the above, very puzzling 

Upon contacting 02 by phone they have told him that the fraud team are investigating and will contact him within 10 days, what are they going to do? surely they cant make vodafone give the number back 

Posting for my polish friend slight_smile 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@rm24uk 

Sounds like a bit of social engineering has been going on, as someone has managed to get his o2 credentials and take over his account.

I would ensure your colleague, changes his passwords on all accounts, and also checks his credit file for any anomaly. 

Also I would log this with Action Fraud and Vodafone as well.

They can make Vodafone give the number back, but that could take a while.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi, 

Can’t figure out how this would have happened except for fraud. We’re a community forum so very few 02 staff here. 

I can tell you it looks like you both did the right thing by informing 02 and the fraud teams! Hope it gets sorted soon. Keep us updated.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 2 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@rm24uk 

Sounds like a bit of social engineering has been going on, as someone has managed to get his o2 credentials and take over his account.

I would ensure your colleague, changes his passwords on all accounts, and also checks his credit file for any anomaly. 

Also I would log this with Action Fraud and Vodafone as well.

They can make Vodafone give the number back, but that could take a while.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 6

rm24uk
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply guys, im going to get him a new temp sim and get him to move all his stuff to that, will have to go into the bank with him as the person who has nicked his number will end up with his OTPs otherwise 

Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23207 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@rm24uk Here is the link to report this to the police, which should be done asap: 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

rm24uk
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have just filed the report now, thankyou for the assistance, He has now obtained a new number i dont think hes going to see this number again maybe better off with a fresh start eh 

Message 6 of 6