cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Data Breach - ICO Notified

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 have confirmed that the Information Commissioners Office have been notified about the email scam regarding the vat issue "out of courtesy" following press interest from The Register.

Light the touchpaper and boom. ..... off you go everyone

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/04/o2_turns_itself_in_to_uk_data_cops_email_phishing_scam/
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Still sticking to the bullpoo claims of keylogging. I expect the BBC and Watchdog to be on the case shortly.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect @jonsie this is for the earlier scam. The more recent one with a replica of myo2 probably hasn't made it there yet.

I would suggest those who got the email with back details and puk numbers and phone serial numbers et al contact The Register asap as they now want to run with the story. ....
Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123438 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

It made interesting reading. Apparently O2 have now informed the ICO...and the forum gets a mention as well

"Whilst there’s no evidence that the information came from O2, we’ve notified the ICO out of courtesy," a spokeswoman at the company now tells us.

O2 customers continue to complain about the scam on a forum thread that currently runs to 31 pages. Reg reader Mike added that the firm had issued a flat denial that it was responsible for any subscriber data being leaked.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123438 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Out of courtesy? Yeah right!

Pushed or shoved?.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Quite clearly both pushed and shoved.

O2 had no intention of reporting this. ..... until the press became involved. Exactly as I said yesterday what was needed
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 145140 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
So O2 are admitting it's not a keylogger now are they.....?
There would be no need to notify the ICO out of courtesy or otherwise if they were convinced they were safe here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly. Hence why those that have received the more recent scam linked to my02 should contact The Register quickly
Message 10 of 15