Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Samsung phone with travel bolt on in USA

YT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am heading to New York for 6 days next month ,have activated O2 travel but read that some Samsung phones will still not work, is this true?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@YT 

You may have to turn off 5g and use 4g but other than that all phones will work.

Data speeds are throttled though to 0.5mbps so you will find it slow.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@YT 

You may have to turn off 5g and use 4g but other than that all phones will work.

Data speeds are throttled though to 0.5mbps so you will find it slow.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 8

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6793 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

You will need to have VoLTE active to make calls as there is no 3G in the US and 2G is patchy

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 8

YT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks, data is not so much a concern as must be able to text and make calls back to UK

Message 4 of 8

YT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks, as long as I can make calls and send texts back to UK I am happy enough, data not so much of a concern although would be good to have 

Message 5 of 8

YT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have actually checked my phone and there is no VoLTE option, phone does not have it.

Message 6 of 8

YT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update on this is that I spoke to Samsung who went on and on about an international SIM card and use it for 24 hours and then will be region unlocked , after 3 attempts at same question they eventually said basically if you have used your phone in country you bought it for at least one call for 20 mins it automatically region unlocks, my initial question was , I am with O2, current phone is a Samsung A32, have it it a few months, make many calls all in the UK for 20 mins or more, will the phone handset work in USA? The final answer was yes.

Message 7 of 8

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6793 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

It is most likely that VoLTE and the associate WiFi Calling have not been turned on at O2's end. It won't show on the phone till then

Message O2 on
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB
Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 8