Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent advice on deceased family member bill please

Ashash
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, <span;>I am writing to please ask for advice about multiple bills and a threatening Debt Recovery letter received from O2, with regards to my mother-in-law who has been dead since June 2023.

<span;>We were all under the impression that she was on a SIM-only Pay As You Go as she was very old and did not use the phone much. That combined with the after-death stresses meant we did not think to notify O2 of her death.

<span;>In October 2023 we received a threatening letter from o2 demanding an airtime bill payment of £14.85. We also received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery threatening debt collection. First we contacted Moorcroft and explained that the account holder was dead, they then closed the matter from their end and advised us to contact O2 . We contacted O2 and were met with frankly APPALLING customer service. We were put on hold constantly and passed from pillar to post. What should have been a straightforward call took hours. Eventually we got through to a bereavement team (seemingly based overseas) who said they would note that she was deceased. They didn't say anything about the bill of £14.85. So I decided to just pay it from my own account to make the letters go away. From that point onwards we all thought the matter was closed - the £14.85 had been paid and the bereavement team had apparently ended the account.

<span;>Fast forward to today, we visited the property mother-in-law lived in (empty and on the market). There was another bill from O2 , now asking for £55.97!!! And threatening to refer the matter to Moorcroft again!
<span;>Given that she has been DEAD since June 2023 there is absolutely no way she has racked up any bills - the phone has been switched off since the same time last year.

<span;>I am angry that another threatening bill has landed on our lap when the account should have been closed in October 2023. This is obviously extremely distressing for my husband , who had to sit on the phone for hours in October constantly repeating that his mother was dead, because every time they transferred us to a new person he had to explain the situation again and again.

<span;>Please does anyone have a *direct* number to a bereavement team or can anyone help me close this account with finality. We will absolutely not agree to pay an airtime bill of £55.97 when the phone has not been used and the account holder is dead.

<span;>Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

I think you have been through enough. I'm tagging one of our Community Managers to see if they can get to the bottom of this. He will reply here

@ColinO2 can you take a look please

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

Ashash
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for your help, I really hope the person you have tagged can help!! otherwise it will be another few frustrating hours on the phone on Monday 😞  

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144448 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

It really is high time that O2 took stock of the CS situation since passing the reins to VM.

VM has probably the worst CS of any service provider and O2 are rapidly getting tarred with the same brush.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Hey @Ashash 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

So i can get this checked out, can you please PM me with some more of the details?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 6 of 6