Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised texts sent from my phone

Johnny1000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just returned from a week in Egypt and discovered that under 'Extra Charges - Charges when abroad' I am being billed for 12 texts, all to the same number (0780 2000 332) which I did not send.  As yet, there's not a lot of money involved, but I am very concerned as to how it could have happened, and whether it will continue.  I've reported the situation to O2 Customer Services and asked that a 'charge dispute form' be opened.  Apparently someone will call me within 48 hours to discuss, but in the meantime I've received a text from O2 telling me that my Spendcap (which I didn't even know I had) has been reached.  Any ideas/suggestions?  

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@Johnny1000 

Most likely your phone sending silent messages to register with things like iMessage, visual voicemail and anything else that requires a constant handshake with the network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@Johnny1000 

Most likely your phone sending silent messages to register with things like iMessage, visual voicemail and anything else that requires a constant handshake with the network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Did you send any texts at all?

That number is the O2 gateway for standard texts which is why the number remains constant

Message 3 of 6

Johnny1000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help.  I’ve visited Egypt many times in the past 15 years and this is the first time I’ve had the problem.  I don’t want it to happen again and I’d really appreciate your advice.  I did send 6 genuine texts while I was in Egypt, but these haven’t appeared on my O2 account which seems strange

There are a couple of things that were different on this trip.  Firstly, I’m now using a Samsung Galaxy instead of an iPhone.  Second, my phone now has a suite of Office 365 apps installed on it for my work – not just Word and Outlook, but also things like Teams, MiCollab, Company Portal & Authenticator.  Do you think these could have caused the problem?

Thanks again.  

Message 4 of 6

Johnny1000
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help.  I’ve visited Egypt many times in the past 15 years and this is the first time I’ve had the problem.  I don’t want it to happen again and I’d really appreciate your advice.  I did send 6 genuine texts while I was in Egypt, but these haven’t appeared on my O2 account which seems strange

There are a couple of things that were different on this trip.  Firstly, I’m now using a Samsung Galaxy instead of an iPhone.  Second, my phone now has a suite of Office 365 apps installed on it for my work – not just Word and Outlook, but also things like Teams, Mi Collab, Company Portal & Authenticator.  Do you think these could have caused the problem?

Thanks again.  

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@Johnny1000 

It could be visual voicemail registering or another possibility is the company portal app.

I know my company portal app does this handshake regularly with our company servers.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6