Did you mean: 

USA - Roaming with O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Over the past few weeks we've seen that some of our customers have been having issues while roaming in the USA. If you're visiting the USA soon, or have been there recently and experienced issues with making calls, then read on for further details on what the issue is, and what you can do to have as smooth an experience as possible while roaming in the USA.

Calling from the USA

From 2023, you’ll be unable to use your UK mobile phone to make regular calls when visiting the USA because of changes to their mobile networks. However, you’ll be able to use your phone to make calls using the 4G network – provided you have a compatible phone.

Follow the steps listed here to check whether your phone is compatible, or you can find a list of compatible devices if you go here and click the link shown in the screenshot below the most up-to-date compatibility list.

Untitled.png

If the device you have isn't compatible with 4G roaming, then you will be unable to make and receive calls when you're roaming in the USA. This down to USA network technology changes rather than anything on our side, or that O2 is in control of.

Roaming costs while in the USA

With our O2 Travel Inclusive Zone Bolt On, you get a daily allowance of 120 calls, 120 minutes and data roaming in 27 additional destinations (our Inclusive Zone) including USA, Australia and New Zealand. You you can find all of the the included destinations hereThis Bolt On is included in selected O2 Refresh / Custom Plan tariffs (check your account in My O2 to see what bolt on's you have).

If your tariff doesn't include this, then you can purchase the full O2 Travel Bolt On for £6 a day and get unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and data. Please note this is only available to Pay Monthly customers and is not available on Pay As You Go. For more info on roaming with Pay As You Go, check here.

Roaming and everything else you need to know

In the summer we created an in-depth guide to roaming with O2, including associated costs, destinations and handy tips and tricks on ensuring you have a great experience while roaming. Check the guide out here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6778 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

@Chris_K Thanks for the update. Going that way in the UK with the withdrawal of 3G services on Vodafone, EE and 3 by the end on next year.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @RafaC @Breanna 

Please add to the roaming megaguide, thanks.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 24

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions
Message 4 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 24

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36429 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

Now here's a thing, a Pixel 6a, purchased in December-2022, and...

Screenshot_20230128-084418.png

Odd, that, I'd've thought... given its predecessor, a Pixel 4a (without 5G) shows as "compatible with 4G calling abroad"!

How so?

Message 6 of 24

victim31150
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for this very clear information. I have followed the steps you describe and it seems my phone is not compatible. A couple of further questions, if you don't mind - I will be travelling with friends. Will I be able to send text messages to their (UK) phones within the US? If so, will this be free? Also, can I assume that as long as I have a WiFi connection I will be able to send and receive WhatsApp messages?

Message 7 of 24

Roy1966
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The phone was working until this morning and I have not made any changes? Its a compatible iPhone 14 so should not have any issues
My wife is on the same tariff and her's works fine 

Message 8 of 24

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36429 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

Roy1966
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK after a few hours messing around I found out that my phone had connected to AT&T rather than Network selection (set to auto)

I set it to manual and selected T-Mobile - All good now 

Message 10 of 24