Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card change

CLF22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have upgraded, and also changed my tariff to unlimited date, supports 5G, and to get Disney + free for 6 mths. 

Do I need to use the SIM card my upgrade came with to get the new benefits? Or will they be automatically applied if I just put my current sim into my new upgraded phone? 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@CLF22 Your current sim will only support 4G, so if you want the 5G benefits you'll need to do a sim swap:

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

If you're not comfortable doing the swap yourself, call into an O2 store if you have one nearby and they'll do it for you. Be sure to bring identification with you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@CLF22 Your current sim will only support 4G, so if you want the 5G benefits you'll need to do a sim swap:

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

If you're not comfortable doing the swap yourself, call into an O2 store if you have one nearby and they'll do it for you. Be sure to bring identification with you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

When did O2 start to provide 5G SIMs, @Bambino, do you know?

My non-5G Pixel 4a SIM will, the reseller assures me, give me 5G service in the Pixel 6A that I am upgrading to, if I am in an area with a working 5G signal.

Personally, I have my doubts... not that there is 5G up in the sticks where I live yet anyway!

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

O2 launched 5G in October of 2019, @pgn. I also doubt a 4G sim will give you 5G, so I'm curious as to why anyone would tell you that. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Despite the forthcoming upgrade coming from the same supplier as its predecessor, perhaps the supplier's rep thinks I got a "Pixel 4a 5G" in January 2020 - they should have the details of the SIM they sent with the "Pixel 4a" (NOT 5G!) purchased off them 2 years ago. I shall see.  There will be a new SIM with the new phone, "just in case" (for SIM swap, but the rep was insistent I just have to pop the SIM from my current Pixel 4a into the soon-to-arrive Pixel 6a - we shall see in a few days, @Bambino thinking

Message 5 of 5