Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECURITY ISSUE re change of O2 direct debit account

suet1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This morning I had an email, subject line 'Your O2 Direct Debit has changed – For information only, you don’t need to do anything'. It was from o2payments@s-email-o2.co.uk .

Is this authentic? I contacted O2 on twitter to ask and they have been very slow, just asked me to send a screenshot, but I said I need to forward the whole email to them - they haven't replied. I've googled it - nothing.

Here's an excerpt:

Your Direct Debit has changed – you don't need to do anything.
This is for information only.

We’re making a small change to our banking and the way we collect Direct Debit payments. As a result, we’ve stopped collecting from your old Direct Debit and we've set up a new one to replace it. If you previously had two Direct Debits (one for your Airtime and one for your Device Plan), you will now have just one Direct Debit combining both your Airtime and your Device Plan. This change doesn’t alter the total amount you pay us.
You don’t need to do a thing

This replaces your original Direct Debit(s). This change won’t affect your payment date.
You may notice your bank/building society statement has a comment about a 'final payment' under our original details, and a 'first payment' under our new details.
What this means for you

In the next few days you’ll notice a new Direct Debit has been set up with a new reference:

I'M OMITTING THE REFERENCE FROM THIS POST

Your regular payments and the service you receive from us will carry on as normal.
We’ve told your bank/building society about the change, so they may get in touch with you. You don't need to take any action.

If it's authentic, surely lots of O2 users will have had it. So have you? Or might it be some kind of scam?

I look forward to your thoughts

Sue

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144973 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

@suet1 

O2 are transferring customers to a new billing system which requires a new direct debit to be set up.

Looks like you are being transferred now and it's nothing to worry about.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144973 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

@suet1 

O2 are transferring customers to a new billing system which requires a new direct debit to be set up.

Looks like you are being transferred now and it's nothing to worry about.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

suet1
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144973 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

Welcome

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Andy98
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just had the same email today, in January 2024, nearly a year after the previous customer.  Also, I've only ever had one Direct Debit for this phone as it was a SIM-only deal for a handset I bought elsewhere. 

Message 5 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23203 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@Andy98 It's taking O2 a very long time to migrate all their customers over to the new billing system. If you want to query the email, speak to the Payment Management Team on 0800 902 0217.

The opening times are:

Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm

Saturday – 8am to 6pm
Sunday – 9am to 6pm

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/payment-support

You can also reach O2 via social media:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (now X) (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 6