Did you mean: 

Roaming SMS notifications

NC201
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, quick question;

I've not long joined O2 and having just been to Northern Ireland and crossing the border in to the Republic I didn't receive any SMS notification that I'm roaming with applicable out of contract costs etc (ie international call rates outside Europe etc). I thought it was mandatory that networks send customers SMS notifications when they camp on to a roamed ,from the home, network? That was what happened with EE.

I appreciate that in reality it's not going to cost me anything using the phone in the EU but if I travelled further afield then a quick text is nice showing cost overview for MMS, SMS, call cost per min to the UK and also in and outside the roamed destination territory etc.

I'm sure someone on here can answer this one for me.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6579 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1486 Solutions
  • Not sure about the Republic as it is considered differently by the networks for EU roaming and is always inclusive.

It may be to do with people crossing on a regular basis. (One of my family crosses several times a week and they would be pretty p**d off if they kept getting text)

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

NC201
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wonder if that's specifically why the Republic roaming networks don't provide these notifications as would get rather annoying!
I'm off to the Netherlands next week so will see what happens when I arrive there.

Message 3 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10162 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

I don't think in the 100's of trips to the ROI / NI , I have ever received a text message on both my personal and corporate sim card. 

That's from landing in either Knock or Dublin or driving up and down the M1 to Belfast...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 4