cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbound sales calls are not recorded at O2? Is this compliant with Ofcom regulations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon,

My partner is currently in dispute with O2 after she was called by the outbound sales team. The opened up the sales pitch by saying that they saw she makes a lot of calls to Namibia and, as she was on pay as you go, she would be better off moving to a contract.

Once a £300+ bill had been run up in around 3 weeks we investigated with O2. The contract she had been sold included 100 UK minutes and 100 UK texts (and seemingly insane per minute costs for international calls). In short it appears that the salesperson lied in order to gain commission or a tick towards their bonus for the month.

Whilst this is an ongoing issue with O2 I wanted to ask a question here which relates to it. O2 have told me that they do not record their outbound sales calls. This stunned me as it means that their sales team can say anything they wish without any effective auditory oversight. It has also complicated our issue as my request to have the call listened to was met with "sorry, it's not available".

How very convenient for O2.

It certainly helps you fob off complaints as you can say anything without the recording to prove or disprove your version of events. Is this compliant with your regulator's requirements? Are Ofcom really happy to accept that you can sell your products without enforcing truthful representation on your sales staff?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon,

Once a £300+ bill had been run up in around 3 weeks we investigated with O2. The contract she had been sold included 100 UK minutes and 100 UK texts (and seemingly insane per minute costs for international calls). In short it appears that the salesperson lied in order to gain commission or a tick towards their bonus for the month.

I can't comment on O2's recording of sales calls, but £300+ for calls, surely you were getting similar on PAYG, if so you must have been forever topping up. I think they charge £1.50 per minute. PAYG and £1.54 on basic contract. All of of that 4p would be negated if you used the phone for UK calls, which would be chargeable on PAYG

Did you assume the 100 minutes were for international calling?

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
So did they say that she would get free calls to Nambia or something?
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86776 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 5054 Solutions

Not altogether sure we are getting the full story here?

2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM Icons(Twitter |
Instagram | Facebook)

5695219-2
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that was what the OP was querying.

This is a fundamental aspect of any telephone sales activity......all sales calls should be recorded to protect the company and the customer.

If O2 or their telephone sales sub-contractor are not recording sales calls then there is a significant problem.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

basically its there word against the advisors, any one side could be telling the truth but keep an eye on your minutes & call costs & make surd you dont go over your limit.

you could set yourself a limit on how much you go over before spending to much then complaining that you spent loads when it was your own fault for being on the phone for long periods, use a land line in future

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@O2MACH2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that was what the OP was querying.

This is a fundamental aspect of any telephone sales activity......all sales calls should be recorded to protect the company and the customer.

If O2 or their telephone sales sub-contractor are not recording sales calls then there is a significant problem.

I realise that, but the crux of the matter is the OP is indicating that there was something said on that call that led them to believe they'd be getting something that turned out to not be true. If we knew what was said then perhaps we might have been able to give more help.

I mean the cost of the calls are cheaper, by 50ppm, so they are going to be saving money. But to run up £300+ they must have used 300 minutes at least so not a small amount of usage, the same on p&G would have been £450+.

FWIW I'd have said to look at getting an international calling card from O2, 8p to landlines and 21p to mobiles.

Message 7 of 7