cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 repair service - help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I am now at the end of my tether and don't know where to turn.  My HTC One X was suffering from a glitchy screen which seemed to be a loose connection between the screen and phone.  I contacted O2 to carry out a repiar and sent the phone in, this was received on Monday.

I chased for an update on Tuesday after noticing on the O2 repair tracking website as being out of warranty.  O2 confirmed that the phone was in warranty but could not check the details of the repair due to a system issue.  I was informed he would contact repiars and then personally email me.  I received no further communication from the O2 employee.  I then received an email from Mycare@o2.co.uk which stated

We have tried to contact you but unfortunately we have been unable to reach you.
Your handset has successfully reached our repair centre.
 The assessment by our repair centre is completed by following the warranty guidelines set by HTC. Our engineers have assessed your handset and the faults are not covered by warranty due to damage. Unauthorised rework - copper foil and screen damaged. The cost of repair or reconditioned replacement is £289.46

This was the first time they had contacted me so unsure how else they had tried.  I was absolutely flabberghasted by the statement Unauthorised rework - copper foil and screen damaged.

I can categorically say that the handset has never been opened since I received in February as a refurbishment to my original HTC One X.  I asked for a description of the screen damage and this request has been completely ignored

I have been communicating daily with O2 via the live chat and cant seem to get anywhere.

Today I tried to escalate it and spoke to the support manager via chat who informed me

"The details show that the phone parts have been damaged. It might be possible that the phone was dropped at some time or any other fault. In case the handset is within warranty, then our repairs team is able to get it fixed for any manufacture fault."

For manufacturing fault we don't charge anything.
However, if the damage is apart from manufacture fault the repair is chargeable.

I also found that the reason for the charge had now changed from Unauthorised Rework to the PCB has been damaged.  Physically all that was wrong with the phone was the top left and right corners not sitting flush with the phone.  I Googled this to find that in the heat we have had recently the glue holding the corners can fail.  I still stand by the fact that there has been no Unauthorised rework done on the phone and that the foil must have been damaged when they carried out the refurbishment.  The phone itself has been in a silicone cover ever since I got it in February.  I have now been without my phone since Saturday and feel like I fighting an uphill struggle just to be ripped off by O2 repairs.

I have requested a complete breakdown / engineers report and that has been ignored.

As far as I see it there are the following issues with the phone

Screen Glitchy - suspect loose connection fault with connection / materials defect

Top corners not flush (not too bothered about this) - Glue not holding due to heat - materials defective

Both of these are covered under section 7 of the Warranty use other than in accordance with the user manual, rough handling, exposure to moisture, dampness or extreme thermal or environmental conditions or a rapid change in such conditions, corrosion, oxidation, unauthorized modifications or connections, unauthorized opening or repair, repair by use of unauthorized spare parts, accidents, forces of nature, or other actions beyond the reasonable control of HTC (including but not limited to deficiencies in consumable parts) unless the defect was caused directly by defects in materials or workmanship

O2 repairs have been focusing on unauthorized modifications / opening or repair which has not happened and I still think that is due to it being a refurbished phone, however I am standing by that the issue is caused by defect in the materials.

The one thing that did get me was the reply from yesterdays chat

"We're here to help our customers only :)"

If only that was true.

Sorry for the rant but it is beyond a joke now what makes it worse is that I can get a new phone and contract on the refresh for less than I am being charged to repair the phone.

Any ideas where I go from here?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have just received the following still awaiting a reply from Customer Complaints

> Hello,
> Where we understand your frustration surrounding this matter, our
> engineers have assessed this and we have to adhere to there findings.
>
> Should you wish to dispute this we would recommend you seek a second
> opinion from HTC.
>
> We could arrange for your handset to be sent back un repaired within 1-3
> working days.
>
> Please accept our apologies for your dissatisfaction in the outcome.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> O2 Returns and Repairs

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
see this thread and many others http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Disgusted-with-repair-service-and-customer-servi...
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks adamtemp64 I managed to get the Customer Complaints details from Live Chat

O2 Complaints Review Service

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Email sent to Customer Complaints last night as well as an email to HTC support to see if they can help. Will have to wait and see
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have just received the following still awaiting a reply from Customer Complaints

> Hello,
> Where we understand your frustration surrounding this matter, our
> engineers have assessed this and we have to adhere to there findings.
>
> Should you wish to dispute this we would recommend you seek a second
> opinion from HTC.
>
> We could arrange for your handset to be sent back un repaired within 1-3
> working days.
>
> Please accept our apologies for your dissatisfaction in the outcome.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> O2 Returns and Repairs

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seek resolution through HTC.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Samsung Galaxy S2 phone started to freeze on opening screen and tried everything and even taken to an O2 shop, then to an expert service center but no one couldn't correct it. Final verdict was major sotware crash so phoned the O2 as it has another 4 months to end the 2 year waranty period. The helpdesk assured that nothing to warry and asked me to send the phone over as described on email. Took in to the post office but paid extra £6 pounds to make sure that it is recorded post and I can trace it if something goes wrong.

I got the very first text saying that they are waiting for a part but if they cant they will send a replace. I monitored the progress over the internet and it took about seven days but I can see that it has stuck in the repair center. So I phoned the help center and one nice lady hold me for few minutes and assured me that it will be with me soon. I mentioned that I am going on a holiday and would like to have it repaired by Wednesday as I am using the camera of the phone to take pictures.  

After 2 days when I was looking for O2  repair center details to make another call I came across this page and after reading all horer stories I was afraid to death. I thought I will never get my phone back let alone on time to go on holiday but guess what before an hour ago door bell went and a delivery man was there with my phone.

Opened the parcel and I couldn't belive that it was nicely packed. phone was shining like a brand new phone. I just check the serial no with my records to make sure whether it is a new one or my old phone. there was letter thanking me for sending the phone over and even engineer's name (Mr Mindaugas) who fixed it. 

So thank you very much O2 for your great service and who are at customer service and repair center. Some may have unfortunate to have some bad experience but I may be the luky one or O2 is changing for better. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

SPD

Message 7 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Good to hear you got a satisfactory resolution from them slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice to hear some balance.

I typically suggest the manufacturer as a 1st point of call for repairs, as they know their hardware and software inside out. slight_smile
Message 9 of 9