Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 abroad

BGT1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My phone is showing 4G with a local service provider in Canada. However the speed is equivalent to the old ‘dial up’ broadband. Friends are with Vodaphone and using the same local service provider and have expected 4G speed - why is my phone performance so poor?
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BGT1 you may not be connected to O2's preferred network so a manual network search may get you better results, however, it is well known that O2 throttle data speeds abroad outside of the EU so that might be the best you can get from them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BGT1 you may not be connected to O2's preferred network so a manual network search may get you better results, however, it is well known that O2 throttle data speeds abroad outside of the EU so that might be the best you can get from them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@BGT1

Try using 3G instead. You may find that works far better for you....

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

BGT1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks everyone. I have tried Manual selection of other service providers and turning off 4G but neither improve performance. I’m guessing the throttling of data speeds may be the reason, especially given our friends on Vodaphone aren’t having any problems
Message 4 of 4