cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zealand Dongle query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

While I have been travelling around New Zealand I purchased a Mobile Internet Dongle from Telecom (A Mobile phone network operator here in NZ).  My question is will I be able to use this internet stick in the UK if I insert a O2 sim into it.

Details of the Mobile Internet Dongle are as follows:

HSUPA USB Stick

Model: MF190

Made By: ZTE Corporation.

I would guess that all these devices would be generic and be able to be used world-wide but would like clarification.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be locked to the network on which it is purchased. Easiest way is to borrow a sim from a rival network and see if it works.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep I got one of those (with the feather of course). I asked and was assured that Telecom do not lock their dongles.

I tried it with my O2 SIM when I got back to Wales but didn't have much luck. However, I just found out that my O2 PAYG SIM might have expired while I was away so that could have been the problem. I shall try it again. The only doubt I have is that the O2 dongles are HSDPA and the Telecom one is HSUPA. I think one means "upload" and the other means "download" but I don't know what it means in terms of compatibility. Anybody care to enlighten me?

Keep posted.

Steve

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies.  Before I leave I will try and ask the NZ Telecom people if their mobile dongles are locked to there network.

I will report back if I have any success.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 use the 21000Mhz and 900Mhz frequency for their 3G network. You need to make sure your MF190 supports the frequency at your location.

Your modem also needs to be unlocked. most networks lock their own branded modems. If it is locked you can get it unlocked at http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Unlock-ZTE-MF190-3G-Modem.html

You may also find the connection manager software supplied with the modem can only be used with the original network operator. A generic ZTE modem connection manager can be downloaded from Join Air Connection Manager

Message 5 of 5