cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an iPhone, so BT Openzone is free - what about laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I seem to have stumped both O2 customer service and BT Openzone customer service - no one can tell me.

I have an iPhone, so I've got unlimited data and free connection to BT Openzone hotspots. I understand that when I want to use BTOZ on my iPhone I tap in my number and password.

However, I just managed to connect my MacBook Pro laptop to BT Opezone, and I entered my number in the username box, along with my password, and here I am, using the internet with no problems.

As I'm not using my iPhone, will I get charged? I've asked O2 and BT and they don't know - I got passed about. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
the iphone mac code will differ from your laptop mac code so at some point they may notice and ask you to stop.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I entered my number in the username box, along with my password, and here I am, using the internet with no problems.

If you already have a BT Openzone password then using it on a laptop shouldn't have anything to do with the iPhone. Or are you talking about a different password?
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The MAC address of the iphone will be registered on openzone and you can't register the laptop on it with the same details as it has a different MAC address.
If you have WIndows OS on the MAC and Connection manager 2, you can connect to the Openzone hotspot using a PAYG or Contract USB modem from O2
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I am a BT customer but I don't know my log in details. Both my Mac and iPhone connect by typing in my mobile number on their respective browsers. I understand that if I want to use BT Openzone on my iPhone it asks for the mobile number and network, and then it's meant to take me to an O2 log in screen. It doesn't do this.

It turns out that the password I enter on the BTOpenzone screen can be anything I want it to do be - it's got nothing to do with my O2 password. Also, just to see if it did work, I tried logging in on my MacBook with my girlfriend's phone number (who is on Orange and has no BT account) and that worked too.
Message 5 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Sounds like a system fault to me.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I am a BT customer but I don't know my log in details. Both my Mac and iPhone connect by typing in my mobile number on their respective browsers. I understand that if I want to use BT Openzone on my iPhone it asks for the mobile number and network, and then it's meant to take me to an O2 log in screen. It doesn't do this.
It turns out that the password I enter on the BTOpenzone screen can be anything I want it to do be - it's got nothing to do with my O2 password. Also, just to see if it did work, I tried logging in on my MacBook with my girlfriend's phone number (who is on Orange and has no BT account) and that worked too.

The other possibility is that you are being phished. Anyone can set up a network named BT OpenZone, which puts up a splash page similar to the BTOpenzone one and asks for details - they could then (for example) intercept all info that you send and receive on that connection. Are you sure you are definitely connecting to an official BT Openzone hotspot? Perhaps try another hotspot to check if that works.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other possibility is that you are being phished. Anyone can set up a network named BT OpenZone, which puts up a splash page similar to the BTOpenzone one and asks for details - they could then (for example) intercept all info that you send and receive on that connection. Are you sure you are definitely connecting to an official BT Openzone hotspot? Perhaps try another hotspot to check if that works.

That is a very good point but I highly doubt it - the FON spot is listed on the FON Map, and it's secured by VeriSign. I know anyone can buy an SSL certificate but VeriSign are one of the most trusted suppliers.

It's funny though, I've popped home, and we have BT Openzone enabled on our router, just tried the same steps and it isn't working. So when I go back to this FON/Openzone spot I'll give it another whirl.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The MAC address of the iphone will be registered on openzone and you can't register the laptop on it with the same details as it has a different MAC address.
If you have WIndows OS on the MAC and Connection manager 2, you can connect to the Openzone hotspot using a PAYG or Contract USB modem from O2

if it goes via mac then couldn't you just change the windows mac in device manager to match the iphone mac?
Message 9 of 9