cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make an official complaint after servicing an iPhone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a camera in my iPhone 4s stopped focusing properly, I have decided to send the phone to the service through o2 store as is still in warranty period.

They checked everything and issued repair receipt. Next day I got text that this fault is not covered by warranty as there was liquid damage - corrosion inside. They quoted £119 for repair.

Firstly - this phone was never even close to the water. From my point of view they could do whatever they wanted to get additional money from me. There was no way that I could be sure that everything is absolutely ok with my phone during the servicing. When I left my phone in the o2 store they just put my phone under the counter - there was no any cover, bag or anything, just wrapped with the paper repair form. I saw one of the staff have his drink in the shop, so there is huge possibility that water damage (if any) could happened once in the o2 shop. It is important to know, that phone is absolutely fine and all performings are perfect - just the camera is not focussing, which I found very common problem to this model.

Finally, as I refused the quote, they decided  to send the phone back to the store with adnotation that  repair is Beyond Economic and I will not be able to use this phone, so I should buy another one or use Insurance. 

I dont think that camera replacement is beyond economic if everything else is absolutely perfect. 

I asked for full repair report which I get and would like to find out where to look for legal advice, as o2 should provide such information in case that I disagree with the outcome.

Its looks like "water damage" is o2 favorite quotation as is very difficult to prove it and very easy to create, if somebody wanted to. 

Is that typical acting of the o2 service to ripp people off? 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There have been problems in the past with O2's repairers fond of quoting 'water damage'.

(do na search in the box at the top for Anovo)

Best advice is to get the phone back take it to your nearest Apple store even if it's a an hour or so drive.

I seriously advise anyone who owns an iphone within the warranty period to by-pass O2 and go straight to Apple, even post it off if you have to. Customer service second to none and a replacement on the spot if the phone is faulty.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There have been problems in the past with O2's repairers fond of quoting 'water damage'.

(do na search in the box at the top for Anovo)

Best advice is to get the phone back take it to your nearest Apple store even if it's a an hour or so drive.

I seriously advise anyone who owns an iphone within the warranty period to by-pass O2 and go straight to Apple, even post it off if you have to. Customer service second to none and a replacement on the spot if the phone is faulty.

Message 2 of 10

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Check the water damage indicator inside the docking port and headphone jack. If damaged they are red.

I was told water damage a while ago refused the fix took recipt of the phone suprise suprise all pads were white!

Took it to O2 again showed the assistant made him sign a recipt saying water pad indicators were free from colour change. 2 days later £20 to fix the phone:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You have to wonder is this is a wrinkle for Anono when they're busy?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 10

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I hate to say it but I think it might be a good money maker.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent my six month old phone for repair six weeks ago , as the screen rotates no matter what , and it only answers on loudspeaker , the answer I got was Water Damage, its never got wet , the store assistant witnessed the faults ,I was told £85 to fix it £13 to recycle.

I had the phone returned , and have just carried on using it , however last week it started blocking people !! and also putting me on do not disturb , the shop sent it off again ,O2 rang me and said there is nothing wrong with the phone it works perfectly!!!

It has now apparently been sent to be quality checked

I am at my wits end with o2 , and I shall definetly be making a complaint

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just take it back to Apple.
Book an appointment in store and if it's faulty they will replace it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This thread is nearly 3 years old.....It may have been better to start a new one? #justsaying

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As you have found, sending a phone to o2 for repair is a lottery. Deal with Apple, it's worth a long round trip, faulty phone replaced no quibble.

Message 10 of 10