Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial prefixes whilst roaming

Andrew4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
In the old days when roaming in Spain, if you dialled a number eg 971 123456 it connected locally. You had to dial +44 20 8989 5000 rather than 020 8989 5000 if you wanted to call the UK.

For the past few years the behaviour is reversed which is very inconvenient when dialling directly from the Google Maps app or when redialling a missed call.

Is there a way to go back to the old standard way of dialling?

Other mobile phone operators still work the old way but O2 assumes that every number I dial in Spain is a number in the UK. I want to be able to choose because I dial a lot of numbers in Spain from Spain. I don’t always want to have to dial +34 before each one.

Then the iPhone Dial Assist setting would be of use. As things stand I can’t take advantage of dial assist.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144466 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27681 Solutions
I just have numbers saved in phonebook with the correct country codes so never noticed which ways you can dial. I'm not aware of anyway it can be changed by the user though as I guess it's all network controlled.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36026 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Have you tried roaming onto another network, if available and trying? I can roam onto Vodafone outside of the UK, for example, which might work as you suggest, assuming O2's default roaming partner in that geography works as you describe.

Just a thought... 

Message 3 of 3