cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Manager patch made things worse

Anonymous
Not applicable
After deleting the two files last night as per instructions in the sticky on this forum its completely messed up my laptop settings.

I now can't connect to the internet even to my fixed 02 internet connection. This is the message I'm getting

NDS Tray - Bad Image
C:\windows system 32\wlanapi.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Trying stalling the program again.

ConfigFree (TM) Task tray menu has stopped working.

My laptop was fine until I deleted the two files. It will still connect via Ubuntu but I assume its the windows files that have been corrupted. So much for "removing these files won't stop your computer working"

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do now?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Try running System Restore to turn the pc back to just before you deleted the files.

What caused you to delete those files in the first place?

Is it possible you deleted the wrong files?
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried doing a system restore but its made no difference. It has put the files back because when I look in the recycle bin the two files are there but if you go to restore files it says they are already there would I like to replace them.

Its looking like it could be pure coincidence as there appears to be a serious problem with windows now. eg. When you do a system restore you're usually offered various restore points yet it will only allow me to go back to 2 March. I also have an installation disk for a Safecom wireless adapter which I've had for ages. When I put the disk into my PC to install the software for it its supposed to come up with a menu for you to choose which operating system you have and its completely blank yet on my other PC it shows up fine so there is no problem with the disk.

I deleted the files in the first place because I couldn't connect to the internet with my mobile 02 dongle and couldn't get on to the page where you pay. The problems tied up with the stickie at the top of this forum and I followed the instructions to the letter and definitely deleted the correct files as I checked over and over before deleting them. Now the connection manager cannot find any available connections whatsoever including the secure ones of neighbours which have always shown up and it doesn't show my 02 home broadband signal. The inbuilt wireless adapter on my laptop is definitely switched on because it works fine with Ubuntu operating system.
Message 3 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I think your right this sounds as if some Windows files have either gone missing or become corrupt, or you have a virus infection. Try running a full anti-virus scan first.

If that comes up clean follow this-

Try this procedure, which is basically the same for Win XP and Vista:

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes), and Copy it to the C drive. This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW"Â
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
managed to locate a repair disk off internet. Thanks for your help, still messing around with it. Its lost everything off the desktop this afternoon including the side bar. Will try your suggestions tomorrow, once again thanks
Message 5 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
This definitely sounds as if this is a virus or a trojan or multiples of these that have got onto your pc, and seem to be eating your files.

I think you need a Vista Recovery disc so you can run a repair installation of Windows, I am sure this will wipe all your files, so get a back up done if you don't have one.

From what you say it's a Toshiba laptop so I would ask them if they can help you, if you don't have the original disc that came with the machine.

There should be a hidden recovery partition, so ask in the Toshiba Europe forum about how to proceed if you are not sure.

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
OMG thats clever, how did you know its a Toshiba :mansurprised: Will try all that. Its my husbands PC and he's ripping his hair out now. Just one last question, he's bothered about losing his Ubuntu system which is on same laptop but on partitioned part of disk. Do you think it will be unaffected by a complete windows re-installation?
Message 7 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
If you can get this pc online maybe at a friends house and connect to this web site, it will scan it and remove any viruses or malware for you.

This would be the quickest fix and free:

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ (It may ask you to download an ActiveX file first and your pc might not be able to do that).

It sounds fairly busted, so you've got nothing to lose, and if it works you're laughing. It shouldn't affect the Linux partition, just cross everything.

If you don't feel confident trying this take it to a Toshiba Service Centre.

ps it takes a Toshiba owner to spot another one! wink

You mentioned Configfree, which is pre-installed on all Toshiba notebooks. wink

Message 8 of 8