cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls with mobile broadband?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need help to figure this out, i wanna buy a laptop with build-in sim port but i wanna be able to make and receive calls and txt message as well as internet, the basic idea is to use it as my office so people can contact me there when i have the pc on...

Is any of this possible?...
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, making and receiving calls, also video/webcam calls (voip/skype etc.) also p2p is not permitted under the Terms and Conditions of Mobile broadband conditions.Also continous video streaming is also not allowed. If you attempt to break the T&C'S O2 reduce your internet connection speed or even disconnect you. Because Mobile broadband works on the 3G network, it can't afford the bandwidth these services use up. affecting other O2 3G services. The good news is you can surf the net, send and receive e-mails, and send/receive text messages through the connection manager/ dongle with your mbb sim card you get with dongle.
Copy of terms that refer to this:

You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device excluding modems/data cards;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers or Cloud customers.
If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove O2 Mobile Broadband or Wi-Fi from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
So in order to not overload the 3G network the service is limited to internet use and txt message, but in that way everybody who wants mobile internet and mobile phone are bound to use 2 different devices so i still will need to use my internet and my phone that means double the use in the 3G network so the usage multiply by 2 every time somebody sing up for mobile broadband so as more clients any network get the worst the service for both internet and mobile phone?...

Then what about if i get a internet bolt-on in my mobile phone and i get the sim card and place it in the laptop, i will probably receive txt message sent to my number "that's good" probably connect internet but i still can't receive calls from people dialing my number???...

All i want to do in the same thing i do on my phone but in the laptop, i don't care if the internet speed is 1mb as long i open a windows in my desktop, call a client and receive a txt message then use the internet when i need it, mobile phones let you do that and all is missing here is a software that let you do this in you computer...
Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thems the rules!!!

Your calls from a mobile phone don't always use the 3G signal, calls can use 2G/ GPRS etc. and lesser signal. Whereas, voip always needs 3G signal...

Mobile broadband does not sell its self as matching home broadband. It just advertises as surfing/e-mailing....

Would it be SUCH a hardship to take your calls on your phone????? Or are you looking for FREE voip calls lol.....
Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
No i'm not looking for free VoIP calls, you didn't read my original post?...
I will like to get my mobile hand set and never use it again ever, i will like to sit in front of my laptop and be able to send and receive txt messages, make and receive call as the same as the mobile phone does and do things on the web as i do on my mobile phone BUT ALL THIS in my laptop NOT on my phone coz i want ether my phone to have a full size keyboard and a 10 inches screen or my laptop be able to insert a sim card and act as a MOBILE PHONE...
Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol, of course I read your ORIGINAL post. Think your being silly, a laptop connected via mobile broadband is not going to replace your mobile phone. O2 would put themself out of the phone business if so.....THINK about it!!!! Just connect via a proper home broadband connection and you can do all that you want to do lol.... MAYBE SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE EH.....
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but i miss the part where O2, Vodafone, Orange and any other "MOBILE PHONE" network build and distribute the handset it self, they provide the network not the hardware otherwise nokia whould be O2, you are not getting my point or helping, and terms and conditions, VoIP, the speed of the broadband or saturating the network has nothing to do with what i want to do, out all this i just notice that if people like you are in charge of things the world will stop spinning, i will find a way to run a mobile phone OS in my laptop to achieve what i want to do... "MAYBE IN THE FUTURE!!!" check VMWARE.COM, i'm not talking about some freak new hardware here everything is software restricted...
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Listen carefully.... YOU....CANNOT.... MAKE/RECIEVE....CALLS....WITH....MOBILE....BROADBAND!!!!!

End of discussion!!!!!! Against terms and conditions!!!!!
Message 8 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Do you think he's got the message catwoman?

Claws in!! wink
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
He just wasn't getting the message, felt I had to s-p-e-l-l i-t o-u-t s-l-o-w-l-y lol... :womanindifferent: And he was being cheeky to me...
Message 10 of 24