cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openzone for Mac users

Anonymous
Not applicable
As many of you will know, O2's tie in with BT Openzone for mobile broadband dongle users is only available to PC users because you have to use the Connection Manager software. This is very silly and could be put right quite easily. I decided to call O2's helpline to find out when the problem might be sorted. The man I spoke to claimed they are working on it and it would be about a week. Now, I don't believe that for one minute. I think the operator just wanted me off the line so he could go and get his supper (he was in India). Does anyone from O2 care to comment? Are we really only a week away from getting BT Openzone access for Mac users?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 don't comment on this site. Its a user to user forum.

I doubt there's anything in the pipeline for this. And I also you doubt you spoke to someone in India as all O2 call centres are UK based.
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's bad.... I haven't tried using Open Zone yet.... O2 sold me the service with "Unlimited Wi Fi" didn't tell me it was Windows only.
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
As many of you will know, O2's tie in with BT Openzone for mobile broadband dongle users is only available to PC users because you have to use the Connection Manager software. This is very silly and could be put right quite easily. I decided to call O2's helpline to find out when the problem might be sorted. The man I spoke to claimed they are working on it and it would be about a week. Now, I don't believe that for one minute. I think the operator just wanted me off the line so he could go and get his supper (he was in India). Does anyone from O2 care to comment? Are we really only a week away from getting BT Openzone access for Mac users?

As was said before, he wouldn't have been in India. He might have been an Indian, but all O2's call centres are UK based.

It's not quite easy to put right with MAC users for these types of things. The connection manager Software on Windows authenticates our computers on the BT Openzone network. For this to work with MAC users new Software would have to be designed and created. This usually costs company's several hundred thousand at least. Sometimes in the millions bracket.

For a business to do this, it first has to be a cost effective. I.e will the investment pay itself back in x amount of years. Since only about 4% of the UK residents use MAC's according to recent surveys this is problably why there is no Openzone for MAC users. The same for Linux users as well.

You won't get any comments in here though from O2 members of staff. This is a customer only forum
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's bad.... I haven't tried using Open Zone yet.... O2 sold me the service with "Unlimited Wi Fi" didn't tell me it was Windows only.

I guess that's why they have the 30 day happyness guarentee. So if you're not completely satisfied you can return it for a refund of the device (PAYG) or without paying the remainder of the contract if you;'re a contract user
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that's why they have the 30 day happyness guarentee. So if you're not completely satisfied you can return it for a refund of the device (PAYG) or without paying the remainder of the contract if you;'re a contract user
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The vast majority of O2 supported hotspots are 'cloud' hotspots aren they will work on a Mac. I think the split is something like 7,500 Cloud hotspots and 3,500 BT hotspots.
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It wouldn't cost a fortune to sort out the BT Openzone problem for Mac users. Wwhen you use an iPhone with a BT Openzone network you simply tap in your phone number and register once. After this logging onto BT Openzone hotspots is seamless and automatic. This would be a piece of cake to implement with the BT Openzone landing page for Mac users. It's a simple case of checking your MAC address against a list of stored phone numbers. The idea that it would cost millions to implement is utter nonsense.

As for the call centre operator, I incorrectly assumed he was in India as I found his accent hard to understand. My mistake.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You MAC guys could try this:

Download the BT connection manager s/w for MAC here: Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/p ... aqid=13400

Using the BT connection manager software for windows then when the BTOZ login page is presented you can specify your provider; eg BT, O2; provide your credentials and get to BTOZ; so I'm assuming that MAC users will get the same opportunity to specify provider, etc.

Caviats; I can't confirm this will work; suggest you set a restore point (or MAC equivalent) prior to download (and be within range of a BTOZ hotspot!)
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll give that a go and report back. I did download the O2 Mac connection manager from the O2 German website but it seems not to work properly.
Message 10 of 16