cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android network unlock problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Before directing me to the online form, I've read the sections on how to unlock a phone from the O2 network.

It's a slightly special problem.

I bought an Amazon Fire phone (runs an android fork), which is locked to O2.

I can't install any Google apps. So I can't use the Google Play store (large selling point), and many other apps don't work because they rely on Google Play services functioning properly.

The most recent OS software update (3.6.8) solves all of these issues.

However, if your phone is locked to a network, only version 3.6.6 is available.

So even if I have an O2 contract, or O2 is receiving business from me is irrelevant.

My phone doesn't reach anywhere near its potential while being locked.

I was wondering given this situation whether I would still have to wait for 12 months before unlocking.

I'm happy to pay right now, given the chance. I intend to use O2 (or maybe giffgaff) anyway after my old contract expires.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section, I appreciate any help.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've just realised: If I were to get a £9 a month, 30 day contract for just 1 month, could I get the code earlier?

Yes, any of the simplicity simo deals are counted as "contracts"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

All you can do is call o2 and ask them.
We don't make the rules.
As you are payg it should be 12 months but they might make an exception....?

Edit: Just noticed you say you are on contract so just fill in the form and send it in - no need to wait 12 months at all slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 will get the os update for testing before it is released to users. That typically takes a few weeks to be actioned and completed.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't actually have an O2 package yet.

I've got an old Vodafone contract which hasn't run out yet.

@MI5

Thanks - I've just tried the online chat. As expected it was pretty hard to get my point across, but I'm pretty sure the answer is a no.

@Anonymous 

I thought 3.6.8 came out a while ago, but after looking I think it might have been around Christmas 2014

However I found this thread, where Chris_K was referred to (by @MI5)

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/fire-os/td-p/838109

3.6.8 adds no real additional features, just 'optimisations', so is apparently unlikely to be pushed through by O2

Sad
I presume the countdown for the 12 months only starts if you activate a SIM.

I've just realised: If I were to get a £9 a month, 30 day contract for just 1 month, could I get the code earlier?

Message 4 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you got this phone from Vodafone surely they would be responsible for unlocking it, not sure how it can be on their network and locked to O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
@perksie
Nonono sorry, I'm replacing an old (unlocked) phone which has a Vodafone SIM, it's just the contract hasn't run out yet. Sorry, it would have been less confusing if I hadn't mentioned it.

I have a new sim-free Fire phone (the one in question) locked to O2
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The countdown is usually from the day you order it.
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, any of the simplicity simo deals are counted as "contracts"

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

So... this is actually a cheaper unlocking option than being a Pay & Go customer, and you also get 100 minutes, unlimited texts for a month, and 100MB 3G internet?

Seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone.

Message 9 of 9