cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Communication Manager Fails To Initialise

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using the 02 communication manager for the last year with no problems, but from today (jan 1st) the communication manager begins to initialise and then dissapears. If I start manually the same thing happens (but sometimes it will lock up completely and I have to kill the process).

Does anyone have any ideas?

At the moment I am using the windows network mamager which is fine, but I will need the o2 comms manager back to allow me to use the mobile broadband service.

Gary
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try downloading the latest version of connection manager from the mobile broadband help section
Once downloaded, uninstall the original connection manager and reboot. Then install the new one.
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doubt that'll help as I've the latest version installed..

I've still got the same problem - the app starts to initialise and then shuts down. Only resetting the PC's date to 2009 makes it work correctly.
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK - fixed it!

Courtesy of gary.lundie's advice in the other thread on this, I tried uninstalling Connection Manager AND deleting the application data files (you need to see hidden files, mine were in C:\Documents and settings\all users\application data\O2CM-CE).

After putting the PC's date back to normal and re-installing the Connection Manager software it now works with today's date as it always did.

Cheers Gary. grin
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice, you actually don't even need to uninstall and reinstall, you just need to delete the files you mentioned and it works again. I wonder if it will stil work tomorrow.

Time will tell
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,does anyone know which files to delete in o2cm-ce/connection manager or is it all the files? thanx
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I deleted all of them and everything worked fine (all the files are recreated when it runs again).
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I contacted O2 mobile broadband help in Glasgow yesterday through 08705 678 678 - you have to go through an initial 'talk' with someone before they put you through to a more experienced advisor in their office in Glasgow. It seems that there has been a bug (similar to the 2000 Millenium bug with O2 Connection Manager) since the date changed from 2009 to 2010 and he said the engineers were working on the problem 'as we speak'. I told him that I had eventually managed to connect (purely by chance - faffing around with 'network connections') and was now getting access to the internet through a 'dial-up' connection - he asked me if he could take details of how I did this and said he would pass the information onto the engineers who were trying to solve the problem, and asked if I could be contacted by them for more information. It seems I found a way to override the 'O2 connection manager' and get connected another way (quite by luck rather than knowledge on my part) The only thing which is worrying me a bit about this is that by using 'dial-up' it is using up my usage faster than when connected by the O2 Wi-fi. He didn't seem to sure about this when I asked him. i am now trying to find out about this.
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
OXO - it worked for me until I changed from 2009 to 2010 again and then the same problem. I have restarted my computer and changed the date back to 2009.

How will we all know when O2 have fixed the problem ?
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyone who deleted files in O2cm-ce - did this do the trick without uninstalling and reinstalling the connection manager software ?

I am a bit worried about doing this - i am still connected at the moment but I have changed my system date to 2009 (as advised by OXO - cheers OXO)
Are you still set to 2009 or have you deleted the files from O2cm-ce connection manager OXO ?
Message 10 of 22