Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 10 (Lumia 640 LTE) cannot connect O2 Wifi

TieKnot
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All I want to do is use my Windows Phone 10 (Lumia 640 LTE) with the O2 WiFi in my local Costa.

My other devices (a Dell Windows 10 laptop and a Microsoft Windows 8.1 Surface 2 Tablet) work fine and show the Costa splash screen at welcome.o2wifi.co.uk as they make the wireless connection, and invite me to accept 'passing through' to any website I have specified in the browser.

The same cannot be said for the phone (which upgraded to Windows 10 this week) though the problem was present at Windows Phone 8.1.  While the phone connects to the O2 Wifi, the browser is not initiated to confirm the Costa WiFi login/pass through details.  Instead (if I get anything) I get a web page that says ("Hmm, we can't reach this page.  Try this:

o Make sure you've got the right web address:

o Refresh the page

o Search for what you want.")

Nothing works and I cannot connect to WiFi.  If I check the O2 WiFi Status on the phone it says "No internet access" 

I've noticed that if I connect to it, BT WiFi seems OK - and pops up a splash screen inviting payment.

I have no other WiFi connection problems.

I have used O2 Wifi App and My O2 Apps to recreate my device lists for the phone and computers etc.  No joy.

I found a post (here somewhere) where someone has had a similar but opposite problem.  Phone would connect but not the Laptop.  I rather suspect cookies might be to blame (as the issue has persisted through an upgrade) - despite my best efforts to delete all cookies etc - as well as the O2 WiFi not being properly tested for Windows Phone devices.

Does anyone know if there is an http address I can specify in the browser to force the wireless connection to be made?

I have visited another local Costa and get the same problem there.

Thanks in anticipation.

David K  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

TieKnot
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Below is a link to the post I referred to that could be a similar problem to what I am experiencing:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Laptop-won-t-connect-to-02-WiFi/m-p/1006647/hig...
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Change browser URL to 1.0.0.0
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

TieKnot
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It didn't seem to work when I tried it. Will look out for other O2 WiFi locations but am away on Europe for the weekend. Will report back if more news.
Message 4 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @TieKnot, hope you're well! Did you manage to figure out the connection in the end?

Message 5 of 9

TieKnot
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  No luck.  My local Costa (Olney, Bucks) still doesn't work.  Others seem to get their Android or iPhones to work but store manager reports his HTC Android has never worked there either.

Tried an adjacent branch (Newport Pagnell) - and was presented with the Costa splash/passthrough page once only.  Couldn't reproduce and then had same issues as Olney.

Most other WiFi providers seem to be able to provide a connection and cause 'Go to Browser' to be displayed on the phone's WiFi status page (Settings -> Network & wireless - WiFi).  Not O2 Wifi / Costa with Windows Mobile 10 phones.

Spent last weekend in Amsterdam ... no problems connecting to WiFi in most places.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that this doesn't help you, TieKnot, but, for the last 2 weeks, I have not been able to get internet access when trying to connect to 02 Wifi in Costa stores. I have tried deleting the device from the My 02 website, deleting the 02 Wifi network on the phone, deleting the cache and then reconnecting to the 02 Wifi network and re-registering the phone when requested to do so. This did work in a number of places, but only temporarily as when I returned to my original Costa, I then had 'no internet access' again. I will continue to seek a solution and will post back if I find one. Will you do the same please? Thanks?

Message 7 of 9

TieKnot
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sure thing TWF! Even after asking O2 to deprovision my O2 WiFi, so that their systems have no knowledge of any connection between my phone and O2 WiFi, waiting 24 hours, and reregistering with O2 WiFi @ Costa, including a 2nd stage validation using text messages to confirm WiFi access via this phone. Wifi worked on the first day ... But not since.

Anecdotally other iPhones and Android are affected in my local store. Rather suspect that some Costa/O2 WiFi hotspots aren't that hot. Everybody blames everyone else for things not working.

Never mind, now that the store has already started playing Christmas schmaltz I may defect to a local independent coffee store that I know has reliable open WiFi.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It always works fine for me in McDonalds and they do good coffee too slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9