cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable SIM card for GPS tracker?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a classic car. I have been given a GPS tracker for Christmas disguised as a USB cigar 'lighter' in case the car is stolen. Inside the 'lighter' I need to fit a SIM card which should enable me to locate the car using my mobile phone and GPS. I am with O2 all I want to know is which SIM card do I buy, preferably a one off cost not a monthly payment as I may never (hopefully!) have to use the tracking facility. Any suggestions or experience please?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need a classic PAYG sim but you will have to remove it from the car and make a chargeable call once every 6 months to keep it connected to the network.
It will also need a top up every 999 days.
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need a classic PAYG sim but you will have to remove it from the car and make a chargeable call once every 6 months to keep it connected to the network.
It will also need a top up every 999 days.
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks MI5 that was exactly what I needed to know!
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My pleasure slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

jrcsheffield
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
In answer to 'You need a classic PAYG sim but you will have to remove it from the car and make a chargeable call once every 6 months to keep it connected to the network.'

I am advised by a number of 02 staff that only a 'chargeable event' is required and a "data session" will suffice - presumably this is normal tracker interaction with it's server?

Also:

I have recently set up a GPS Tracker with an 02 Classic PAYG sim - in a single day 20p has come of of my account - even though the tracker was static and I only connected the power to the tracker and triggered the vibration alarm six or seven times...one I start using this in earnest on an electric pushbike alarm I assume every time I switch the alarm on which in turn may trigger the GPS this could get expensive? I was told GPRS is used for messaging so shouldn't incur high data usage?

Any thought anyone PLEASE?
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jrcsheffield wrote:
In answer to 'You need a classic PAYG sim but you will have to remove it from the car and make a chargeable call once every 6 months to keep it connected to the network.'

I am advised by a number of 02 staff that only a 'chargeable event' is required and a "data session" will suffice - presumably this is normal tracker interaction with it's server?

Also:

I have recently set up a GPS Tracker with an 02 Classic PAYG sim - in a single day 20p has come of of my account - even though the tracker was static and I only connected the power to the tracker and triggered the vibration alarm six or seven times...one I start using this in earnest on an electric pushbike alarm I assume every time I switch the alarm on which in turn may trigger the GPS this could get expensive? I was told GPRS is used for messaging so shouldn't incur high data usage?

Any thought anyone PLEASE?

You mention GPS and GPRS which are two different things?

The reason why I suggested previously that a chargeable event was required is because GPS along does not use data, but will depend on the device and how it is configured to work.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

SylWalsh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just got a Pay As you go sim from 02 for a Tracker. Problem: When I try to activate to Sim, it wants to send the code to the Tracker, and that I can not see! I need to have the code sent to my Mobile, to activate the Tracker Sim. Cant see a way to do this?

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@SylWalsh wrote:

I have just got a Pay As you go sim from 02 for a Tracker. Problem: When I try to activate to Sim, it wants to send the code to the Tracker, and that I can not see! I need to have the code sent to my Mobile, to activate the Tracker Sim. Cant see a way to do this?

As I replied on your other post, you need to put the tracker sim in your phone to register it.

Once done, it can can go back in the tracker.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8