Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with APN for Nokia 920 Roaming

westernwombat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Windows phone, Windows 8.1 but O2 Help call could not help me with setting the APN which did not happen automatically. With other newer Windows 10 phone its Setup allowed me to get Roaming in the EU with voice, SMS, and Data but Helpdesk woman didn't know what to do for the older 920.
I cannot find a place in the z920 Setup to enter any of the APN settings that work for the Microsoft Lumia 640XL (my newer Windows Phone).

Any ideas?

Pay Monthly with 2GB of data 250 minutes of calls etc but totally useless outside of the UK.
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

westernwombat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I found a Youtube video that gives me explicit instructions for this Nokia Lumia 920 - rather than Mobile + SIM under Settings, use the Settings >> Access Point.

I may not have all the parameters to enter there, but using those in the reply above may help.

However, O2 Help Desk assure me that rather than doing this manual configuration, a simple power OFF then ON of the mobile when in Roaming mode will pick up the correct values and make that APN profile ACTIVE, and it is then the choice of the user to select a carrier. In Ireland/Northern Ireland the 4G carrier is H3G, and O2 is limited to 3G; 2 other carriers may be see, Vodaphone 3G and another.

However, testing for Roaming while still in the UK (London) isn't going to work, so I will be able to confirm this only in about 2 weeks time.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Settings and instructions to enter them here https://www.teamknowhow.com/discover/discover/o2-apn-settings#Windows%20phone%20APN%20settings%20for...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

westernwombat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the response

However, although those settings for Windows 8.1 are exactly as I enetred for my Lumia 640XL, the Nokia Lumia 920 does not have any facility under the Mobile + SIM >> SIM Settings apart from Network Selection - which can either serach for a network which can be selected (choosing O2 then allows voice), or earch for Networks.

The other item under SIM is the various SIM Applications which connect the phone to O2 help, voicemail, Top Up, etc (10 of them) but nothing like the image in the link you gave, showing Internet APN and MMS.

I have a prior setting at Don't Roam.

I will try a change to Raom (though I am now in London and don't need it) but I am not hopeful.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Isn't the 920 a win10 phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

westernwombat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I found a Youtube video that gives me explicit instructions for this Nokia Lumia 920 - rather than Mobile + SIM under Settings, use the Settings >> Access Point.

I may not have all the parameters to enter there, but using those in the reply above may help.

However, O2 Help Desk assure me that rather than doing this manual configuration, a simple power OFF then ON of the mobile when in Roaming mode will pick up the correct values and make that APN profile ACTIVE, and it is then the choice of the user to select a carrier. In Ireland/Northern Ireland the 4G carrier is H3G, and O2 is limited to 3G; 2 other carriers may be see, Vodaphone 3G and another.

However, testing for Roaming while still in the UK (London) isn't going to work, so I will be able to confirm this only in about 2 weeks time.

Message 5 of 5