Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Bold 9780 - can't connect to O2 BIS server

Rory101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I know it's an old 'phone but it's served me well - until it stopped getting email last Friday when we changed our tarrif.

O2 support have re-added the APN to our account and assured me that would fix it but it hasn't.  When I go to email setup the phone is unable to connect to the server so then I'm stuck.  I logged into the online O2 BIS page and deleted the account but it doesn't delete on the phone.  I created an new one and that doesn't appear either.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No one here anymore that used to know about the old BB's unfortunately.
Other than deleting and reinstalling the service books, I'm stuck!
Google might be your best hope or customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I deleted the email related service books hoping that might kill the on-phone email setting but it didn't.

Do I have to delete the service books one-by-one?  There seems to be no "delete all" option, and I'm nervous that if there's some kind of connection problem they won't resend and I'll be left with a brick.  There's an option to resend them from the O2 BIS website and clicking that it says "sent", but nothing obvious happens on the phone.

Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I honestly don't want to answer that mate as I wouldn't want to wrongly advise you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 17

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, thanks.  It's a bit odd that you can't factory reset the phone - there is something like that but all it does is delete data.  There's loads of internet posts from people who say they're stuck with an old account on the phone that they can't delete as the phone needs to connect to whatever server the email account was on!

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and of course, o2 have closed down all their email servers now too!

Currently using:
Message 6 of 17

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I guess it's Blackberry's server, branded O2, that I'm trying to conect to - although I'm not sure how it all works behind the scenes.

It worked fine until last Friday, but the O2 people I've spoken to seemed bemused that I was still using it.  Nevertheless, they said it should work once the APN was re-sent.  But it doesn't. 😞

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm surprised it was still working too, tbh.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I suspect Blackberry's side of it is working, but O2's interface to Blackberry isn't.  Hence it's been fine until someone mucked about with our tarrif.

I just dug out an old 'phone (I've got 3 of 'em with various levels of screen failure) put my sim into it and tried to get O2's BIS webpage to recognise it but it says it's unable to detect the 'phone.  https://o2mailuk.blackberry.com/

Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, I suspect the servers are long gone now.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 17