Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Research suffering due to Brexit vote

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I knew this would happen. Research is already being hit by the Brexit vote.

"Just weeks after the UK voted to leave the European Union, researchers are losing grants".

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36835566

Having worked in an environment which thrived and grew on research linked projects, I could honestly weep at this news...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Nor as high as last summer when it was 1.45

No.....just about in the middle of the 2 

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 29

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I knew this would happen. Research is already being hit by the Brexit vote.

"Just weeks after the UK voted to leave the European Union, researchers are losing grants".

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36835566

Having worked in an environment which thrived and grew on research linked projects, I could honestly weep at this news...

"But Dr Wright was told that there were concerns from others involved in the application that a UK institution's involvement in the project would harm its chances - so Dr Wright and his group were asked not to be involved"

Where is the justificattion tht this personal opinion can be linked to Brexit ?........a case of "I know somebody who said......"

Which is why I made my comment about "social media rumours"

Message 22 of 29

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

We are all suffering the repercussions short term, it was inevitable. But there is far too much guesswork about the future and opinions are merely opinions. No one can foresee long term as yet. So called experts are spouting stuff when they don't know their ass from their elbow. The country is in a mess, it was in a mess before so it's up to our politicians, legal eagles, the government and the people to all pull together now. It's done, pointless moaning about it and unfair to say that 51% of the UK population are half-wits. Let's wait and see.

Message 23 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Beenherebefore I posted this after watching two reports on BBC and Sky news. I didn't pull the information from social media. I am aware that even well respected news channels 'can' over sensationalise when reporting but they did actually speak to scientists whose grants had been affected post Brexit. I suspect we will have to wait a couple of years to see the full impact. I can only hope that's not too late.....

The UK contributed nearly £4.3bn for EU research projects from 2007 to 2013, but received nearly £7bn back over the same period. The £2.7bn excess was equivalent to more than £300m in research funds a year. (quoted from The Guardian April 20th 2016)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 29

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff ......wasn't getting at you more the reporting syle is akin to social media which I'm now finding quite commonplace.

It's like Chinese Whispers.....my boss's friend's uncle's daughter heard from her friend in the pub that all research projects are going to lose their funding because we voted out of the EU.......no names named and the actual source of the information lost in the ether.

As you can tell....one of my personal annoyances !!

Message 25 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Oh I agree...a great deal of scaremongering pre and post referendum. More to follow I expect....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 29

MI5
  • 144447 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

More to follow I expect....

Pages of it, I would imagine !

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 29

MI5
  • 144447 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy, data suggests
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 29

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Obviously the UK holiday season has no effect.

Where I worked I was contacted by phone and asked these type of questions :

"Is the level of business activity at your company higher, the same or lower than one month ago?"

If the answers given were anywhere near the truth then why has the FTSE hit its highest level for many months ?
Message 29 of 29