It's at Coventry now.
Last flight and now retired I believe.
Message 2 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Well coming from Brighton I'm acutely aware of antiqueantique (is that the right phrase?) planes atm... Can't say I'm up on the Vulcan bomber though or even if it's antique.

Off topic a tad, but in Brighton, and Sussex in general the reporting on the Shoreham air disaster has really gotten to the stage of intrusive, insensitive reporting now imo. And is very sad for all involved, every single Argus (local rag) seems to have some "update" about the pilot even if it's non news and hasn't changed from the last report...

Sorry, rant over!
Message 3 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Haha antiqueantique obviously isn't the right word, but u catch my drift....
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I,ve seen this at Waddington airshow many times, a awesome jet which would have carried the UK's nuclear response in the early years of the cold war. 

Flies over my house near Grantham  regularly on its way to displays,  and it's so low as to make the house rattle,. I saw it twice yesterday but it had a fuel leak and was touch and go for today.

It is its last year for flying as the companies that maintain it have said its too old and i think its for the best to ground it before something happens.

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123538 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Didn't see/hear it @viridis ... Probably because I was having a lie down.... Happy Dance

Mowing two lawns and hacking back shrubs......before serving up Sunday lunch for 6, takes it out of me nowadays... Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123538 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Just been on BBC Midlands news by the way....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I,ve seen this at Waddington airshow many times, a awesome jet which would have carried the UK's nuclear response in the early years of the cold war. 

Flies over my house near Grantham  regularly on its way to displays,  and it's so low as to make the house rattle,. I saw it twice yesterday but it had a fuel leak and was touch and go for today.

It is its last year for flying as the companies that maintain it have said its too old and i think its for the best to ground it before something happens.

I remember going past RAF Waddington on the A15 way back in the 80's and having to stop at the traffic lights as there were a number of the Vulcans landing or taking off. Remarkable sight to see that close and its about as close as you could get outside of an airshow! BTW, take a look (i.e. google it) at the history of the V-bombers as it good reading both from a military perspective and a engineering view.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Top tip Sheepdog, i think santa is bringing me a book about them but always good to read up beforehand. 

It makes you think that as these jets appeared not long after the war that when they flew at the airshows the crowds must have thought they were from some science fiction film!

Such a huge leap forward from wooden planes.

Message 9 of 10

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Picked up this article today on the Lockheed F117 and in particular the background to how Skunkworks came about. Guess I'm going to be placing an order for the Ben E Rich book mentioned in the comments! Since I'm being aircraft nostalgic, must look at the awesome SR71...

Message 10 of 10