Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open office

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Does anyone use Open Office    - instead of Microsoft Office? This has been my mode of over 10years. But suddenly its gone haywire.  A post has been put on their community site but its slow to answer? Anyone here think they could help? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't use it but might go that way myself in future as MS have changed their Home User Programme.

What's up anyway?

Message 2 of 9

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:

Does anyone use Open Office    - instead of Microsoft Office? This has been my mode of over 10years. But suddenly its gone haywire.  A post has been put on their community site but its slow to answer? Anyone here think they could help? 

Hi @Jenny105 

I use Open Office - never use Microsoft Office - using "text  document" over the weekend and today,

but I haven`t noticed any problems.

That said, I`ve not done any update...

What problems have you had? 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9990 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Jenny105

Whats your question? Which application is causing the issues?

Open Office always has had little quirks....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi  Last week a relative sent me some files . I found i couldnt open them. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Open Office.  But then those files showed the Open Office  download file symbol. If clicked on they appear to want to download.

Tonight I tried to uninstall and reload . It hasnt improved, Im doing something wrong...... But now Im stuck with out any files.. til this is sorted 

Message 5 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Tried the "open with" and find the right application?

Then again, what were the original files sent to you as? For example was it Writer and what extension was the filename. Might want to check what version the sender has as I recall there being some issue with MS Word 90's edition. 

Message 6 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

The problem seems to have been solved. Largely. 

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As most people don't use Open Office this might be impossible to answer. 

After my last post files eventually came good and all was well. Until this evening when I found no files would pen and no files could be created. I have contacted Oo community page . However folk on this page are so helpful I thought I'd go again to see if anyone has had this problem. 

After 10 years this is very sad.

Message 8 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Guessing this might be  Windows problem? Then the quick and easy fix is to restart your computer. Reason being that any process i.e. running programs will be terminated and you should be able to start OO up again. The alternative is to use the task manager and find the OO process and kill it though you could end up terminating the wrong thing so you'll end up rebooting it anyway. I've encountered this before a few times and nine times out of ten, its a background process taking its time consuming memory each time you try to start it up. Tip: don't multi click because its not seemingly appearing - be patient. 

Somewhere there may be a log file with the error but it takes a bit of digging though. Also check you have enough disk space available as that potentially could cause an issue. You might want to check if you have other programs that autostart and try disabling those to see if they are memory hogs preventing OO starting up. 

If you're on Linux, similar thing. Open up a terminal, do "ps -ef | grep -i open ", look for the line with openoffice on it, take note of the second column number for the process id then type "kill -15 number" and try to restart it. If that fails, use "kill -9 number". Believe me, it works. 

Or just reboot it rofl Seriously though, its likely to be a memory issue so rebooting usually solves it. 

Message 9 of 9