Xmas Movie Discussion - 2023

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Good morning members 

Back by popular demand following on from the Halloween Movie Discussion/Recommendations is the Xmas Movie Discussion - 2023 thread!! 🎥

The Christmas season is now in full swing with the big day just round the corner and i can smell those mince pies 👃

I've already watched a handful of Xmas movies so far this month and i wanted to share my thoughts, and invite you to share what has been on your screens over the month of December ↘️

The Grinch (2000)

This is a movie i watch every year and makes me laugh every time 😂  Scoring 6.3/10 on IMDb the film is based on a reclusive green Grinch played by Jim Carrey who decides to ruin Christmas for the cheery citizens of Whoville. Reluctantly joined by his hapless dog,???, the Grinch comes down from his mountaintop home and sneaks into town to swipe everything holiday-related from the Whos. However, the bitter grump finds a hitch in his plans when he encounters the endearing Cindy Lou. If you're in need for a chuckle this is watch i highly recommend 📺

giphy (13).gif

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Next up is a real tear jerker from 1992, the Muppets perform the classic Dickens holiday tale, with Kermit the Frog playing Bob Cratchit, the clerk of stingy Ebenezer Scrooge. In the movie Scrooge receives visits from spirits of three Christmases -- past, present and future. They show him the error of his self-serving ways, but the miserable old man seems to be past any hope of redemption and happiness. This film has the highest score on the list with 7.8/10 on IMDb and is one a remember fondly from my childhood 🌲

giphy (14).gif

Candy Cane Lane (2023)

The only film on the list that was released in 2023 is Candy Cane Lane staring Eddie Murphy and scores 5.6/10 on IMDb. This flick is based on a man that is determined to win the neighbourhood's annual Christmas decorating contest. He makes a pact with an elf to help him win and the elf casts a spell that brings the 12 days of Christmas to life, which brings unexpected chaos to town. This is defiantly an easy watch perfect for after Xmas dinner 🍽

giphy (15).gif

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

Another classic i have watched this month is Miracle on 34th Street which scores 6.6/10 on IMDb. The film follows six-year-old Susan Walker who is skeptical of the Christmas myth surrounding Santa Claus. When tasked with hiring the Santa who will pose with kids at Macy's, Susan's mother enlists a man with the curious name of Kris Kringle who claims to be Santa himself. His assertions are met with scoffs and threats of jail, but a young lawyer, along with Susan and Dorey, comes to his defense! If you've seen this do you prefer the original released in 1947? 🎅

giphy (16).gif

Scrooged (1998) 

Scoring 6.9/10 on IMDb, Scrooged is a modern take on Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," Frank Cross is a wildly successful television executive whose cold ambition and curmudgeonly nature has driven away the love of his life. After firing a staff member, on Christmas Eve, Frank is visited by a series of ghosts who give him a chance to re-evaluate his actions and right the wrongs of his past. This film defiantly makes you think how you should treat others 🎁

giphy (17).gif

Thanks for taking the time to have a read through my recent viewing pleasures this Xmas and please comment below if you get a chance to watch any of the above with your thoughts 🤔

Please also provide your own recommendations below and we can all add them to our watch lists 📺

@MI5@TallTrees@Cleoriff@Mi-Amigo@madasaf1sh@RunrigForever@Oxonian@Enlli@Pipstop78,   @Bambino@pgn@gmarkj@BobM@J9el 

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Can't beat some of the other classic "Christmas" movies - Die Hard (and Die Hard 2), Gremlins and Bad Santa!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

The Charles Dickens 

Early films 

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

Films I love at Christmas are:

*Miracle on 34th Street

Miracle.jpg

*A Christmas Carol

(Most of them but not animated versions. The 1984 film with George C Scott is a personal favourite)

Christmas Carol.jpg

*The Polar Express

polar-express-onesheet.jpg

*The Christmas Chronicles

Christmas Chronicles.jpg

*Christmas Chronicles (Part 2.)

Christmas Chronicles Part2.jpeg

* The Grinch.

Grinch.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35950 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Oh yes, good ones all, and don't forget: Ho Ho Ho is a myth, according to one of those films above. 🎄

Meantime:

1000010171.jpg

About the postman who didn't want to be a postman; 

And: Rise of the Guardians (no title on this pic, but don't let his demeanour put you off!):

1000010172.jpg

What happens when belief falters, and a vindictive Pitch Black, voiced by Jude Law, starts interfering;

And:

1000010173.jpg

Getting your teeth into anthropomorphic beings...

Lots of other great films too, but those three will do 🎄🎅🔔

Message 5 of 8

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2172 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

An old film ... ... ... It's A Wonderful Life ... starring James Stewart xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Happy feet 

is 😊 😃 😀 happy

images.jpeg.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Not a Christmas movie as such, but one that seemed to be repeated every Christmas in the 1970s and 1980s :-

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Message 8 of 8