Did you mean: 

World Teachers Day

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Yesterday was World Teachers Day which is an occasion to celebrate teachers across the world. I found a great article which had a great selection of quotes  to celebrate teachers and their achievement's. 

• "I touch the future. I teach." — educator Christa McAuliffe
  • "The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." — author C. S. Lewis
  • "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." — physicist Albert Einstein
  • "The thing I loved the most — and still love the most about teaching — is that you can connect with an individual or a group, and see that individual or group exceed their limits." — Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski
  • "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." — historian Henry Adams
  • "A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron." — politician and education reformer Horace Mann
  • "Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach." — philosopher Aristotle
  • "I'm lucky I had some teachers who saw something in me." — actress Ann Bancroft
  • "The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." — journalist Dan Rather
  • "I think the teaching profession contributes more to the future of our society than any other single profession." — former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden
  • "Teachers can change lives with just the right mix of chalk and challenges" —author Joyce Meyer
  • "We discovered that education is not something which the teacher does, but that it is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being." — educational philosopher Maria Montessori

Does anyone have any fond memories of teachers that made an impact when at school? Or do we have any teachers on the forums? Let me know below. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I was waiting for someone else to reply first, but I can't wait! I remember my first English teacher. We called her the Iron Lady (no relation, we were kids in Finland) as she was so strict.... and she was always berating me for not doing my homework and not doing anything in class. Towards the end of the final semester I suddenly got super interested in English and I got all my homework correct and full marks on my exams, and at the end of it my teacher was so proud she cried. ❤️ It's my favourite school-related memory.

Any others? slight_smile

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I have very vivid memories of Mr Ravenscroft and his penchant for the ruler around your earhole !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Two favorite teachers were science.
Both were incredibly intelligent. One had a razor sharp wit. Any time you said something it got turned around and thrown back with some extra sauce.
The other was lovely but clueless at the same time. We stuck her white board markers to the outside of the window and watched her try to get them from the inside!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I have very vivid memories of Mr Ravenscroft and his penchant for the ruler around your earhole !

Mr Blakely, the chemistry teacher, was very accurate throwing the black board rubber *ouch*

Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If honest I don't remember any of my teachers with any respect at all. I went to a school in an area of Coventry which only attracted those teachers who couldn't get a job in any of the more 'upmarket' schools 

I quite liked the art teacher as she gave me better marks than anyone else and commended my vivid imagination. She felt I would have a good career in the art world. She must have been dumbfounded when I went into nursing....Rolleys

PS My sister was a teacher and eventually headmistress of a school in a deprived area of Coventry. She turned that school round to become one of the highest rated in the Midlands....Proud of her...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Mr Blakely, the chemistry teacher, was very accurate throwing the black board rubber *ouch*

Ouch! I remember one teacher of mine threw a wet chalk board eraser at someone who was speaking when not supposed to. tongue

Message 7 of 7