Did you mean: 

World Photography Day -- 🌻 Summer 2021 on the O2 Community 🌻

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Hey everyone,

As it's World Photography Day ( Thurs 19th August ), I thought it would be an idea to share a few tips on how to get a bit more from that camera phone that we're all lugging around everywhere all day ( you could even use a "real" camera 😎 ) ....

Make the most of your summer and new-found freedom this year by take some photos of the high points – you can share these with your friends (personal, and here on the board) – they will also serve to cheer you up later (sometimes years later), and remind you of some really great days, and how interesting life can be, if we look a little closer...

Carry your camera (or camera phone) with you - always

But remember to try not to spend too much time looking at the screen if you’re outside (or inside, frankly)– just use the camera when you want/need it, if you’re out and about. It’s surprising how often you’ll see something interesting, be it a sunset, nature, weather, buildings etc.

Get the picture right 

Pay attention to the picture you’re taking – your mind sees what you have noticed, but others may see things differently – for instance, a car might ruin your nature pic.

Compose your picture carefully, you don’t need to put your main subject dead centre – the Rule of thirds - Wikipedia is a good, basic composition rule that’s pretty effective.

You could use something as a frame - the following photo used a doorway in a wall to frame a lady against the Roman Aqueduct at Segovia, Spain

roman-aqueduct-segovia.jpg

Perspective can be used to convey an impression of distance - the photo above uses this to some extent, and below is another, taken of a groyne on the beach at Cromer, on the North Norfolk coast

groyne.jpg

If your subject is moving, then move the camera with it as the picture is taken – you should get the subject nice and sharp, with the background a little blurred – this gives a sense of speed/movement, and is known as panning

Take several shots, you can always delete the unused extras.

Think about lighting, shooting into the sun will cause your subjects to be darker than the background - so try to get the sun behind you, or to the side – especially with people shots and portraits – not many people like looking straight into the sun.

The time of day is also a factor, as this changes the lighting – the further away from midday, the longer the shadows will be.

You don’t need to spend a fortune on equipment 

Pretty much any smart camera phone, or digital camera is good enough for non-professional photography – taking care over your picture is far more important - if you point a £1000 camera at something uninteresting, it stays uninteresting.

Basic software can correct/improve your photo 🖥 💾

Even something as simple as Google Photos will let you crop the photo, adjust contrast/brightness, make the horizon level etc – save this until you get home though, it’s easier to use your PC

Cropping the picture is useful for improving the image by removing unnecessary areas to top, bottom and/or sides - the image below, of beach huts at Wells-next-the-Sea, been cropped top and bottom using Google Photos.

beach-huts-wells-next-the-sea.jpg

Enjoy yourself, and let’s see some of your work here on the forum ?  🏜 🏝 🏞 🌪 🌍

( edited to correct font and to add -- photos © @Projectionist )

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff 

I am always taking photos.  

I replaced my washing machine couple of weeks ago  I bought a Samsung it's great, haven't photo'd it yet but will 😆

At the same time my umpteen year old plastic washing basket broke up UV got to it. Decided no more plastic so found man making wet clothes washing baskets. I can't believe how brilliant it is, so I took a photo, I really enjoy washing days now. 😊

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's taken me ages to actually find something to take a photo of, & be able to use the tips given up top. 

IMG_0723.jpeg

 Just a shame it was 8pm & very little sunlight left.

(this is a disused line fyi)

Message 12 of 17

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Great use of perspective, and a nice "moody" sky

Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been back @Projectionist & taken lots of pictures but being fenced in on 2 sides & very little on the others.. all the pictures were uninteresting

PXL_20210901_103620778.jpg

 I did manage to get a semi decent picture of the side damaged by fire back in the 80s. It's probably the best picture of the lot.

PXL_20210901_103832538.jpg

Message 14 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I disagree with you about their being uninteresting. The first image, with the inclusion of the sign and path tells us a little about the tree, and the area around it. The second, along with your mention of the fire damage, shows us that it has the strength and vitality to survive such an event.

Context is probably something that should've been mentioned in my article....   🙂

Message 16 of 17

RunrigForever
  • 2192 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, rather late to this thread

All the photos are very nice

Thank you for the photo tips @Projectionist 

I have an Xperia L1 phone which is good at close-ups but I like landscape photos

I am able to compose a Still Life from around my home

I don't go far from home, but will be travelling to the NE next week on the East Coast Main Line and am told it is a pretty train ride ... so ... I'd like to get back into Point & Shoot which is about my standard slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 17 of 17