Did you mean: 

World Mental Health Day 2022

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hello everyone!

The World Health Organization recognises World Mental Health Day on 10th October every year.

The WHO and many organization across the globe have been working for decades to ensure that mental health becomes viewed as equally important to physical health. Although they may seem a bit contrived, days like these offer us the opportunity to reflect, not only on our own mental health, but on how we can support the mental health of others in our lives. 

The Mental Health Foundation have compiled their best mental health tips backed by research which you can check out here.

There are a lot of good ones on that list so I thought I'd share some of my favourites:

Keep moving

I know I'm a person who isn't always good (never) at this, so it's an excellent reminder that something as simple as going for a daily walk can improve both your physical and mental health as well as improve your sleep. My area has beautiful pathways along the river so I think I'll be making a point to visit those more often. The MHF also has a 12,000 steps challenge beginning in November.

Talk kindly to yourself / Be kind and help create a better world

These are two separate points but very related. Oftentimes, I find it easier to be kinder to others than to myself. Even if you're not into mantras, give yourself credit for the things you accomplish in your day-to-day life. Take it from me, it helps a lot! 

Plan things to look forward to

It doesn't need to be a huge planned holiday or big purchase that you set your mind on. Sometimes planning to spend a day reading or gardening is just as beneficial. I'm not a terribly social person but I have also found that planning in advance and has really helped me follow through on seeing friends.

Personally I think this is a great little tool to remind us that our mental health is important and show us small things we might do or might already be doing to help.  

Will you be joining in on the 12,000 steps challenge? I might give it a go, if only to keep myself warm! Is there anything you enjoy doing for yourself or someone else that boosts mental health?

Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0