Did you mean: 

Word Hunt Diamond to return tomorrow - Tues 17 Aug 2021

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As the regular Word Hunt Diamond wordsmiths 

@Cleoriff  @Anonymous  @pgn  @Anonymous  @BobM  @gmarkj  @Projectionist @Bambino  @MI5  @TallTrees

@jonsie @TheresaV  @LukasB  

and @blissgirl who enjoys watching the WHD game know

last Tuesday`s WHD had to be postponed because of the issue with the first post on a thread being repeated at the top of every page.

Last Thursday evening, this problem was partly fixed - but, as a Community manager reported

"Now the OP is only displayed when you first land on a thread from a board, mention or unread post".

This means that regulars who join in the game at various times after the WHD game has started, and from various places - e.g. from tag, from another board, or unread post, could see "OP at top of page" part way thru the game, which would throw the game out of sync and cause confusion to all players.

Over the weekend, I considered the issue and have decided to go ahead with the WHD game tomorrow [Tuesday 17 August] but, aware that problems may arise, I will make the following suggestion:

- if you join the WHD game later, e.g. from tag, another board, or unread post, you will see the OP at the top of the page on which you joined in the game. To get rid of this OP at the top of the page, you will need to flick to the previous page and then back to the page you want to post on and the OP will have gone.

Please note:

Tomorrow`s WHD [Tues 17 Aug] will be the first game under the "New Look".

The Updates may take longer than normal - as I will have to experiment with expanding the size of the Reply Box; then paste the previous Update; and then add the latest found words in the right place, alphabetically, in the list of found words.

Thank you for your kind words and messages of support to my previous announcement about WHD having to be postponed.

I hope that each and everyone of you will be able to join with the Word Hunt Diamond game tomorrow [Tuesday 17 August] and that, despite any difficulties which might arise, we can all have fun with a game which has been enjoyed by so many over the last 71 WHD games. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122372 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Looking forward to it @Mi-Amigo. You can only try and see how it works.

One suggestion from me though? We have NO idea how difficult this is going to be for you in terms of collating the words and posting an updated list etc etc, so instead of us thinking it might be time to stop, could YOU just say 'STOP please' when you need time?

It doesn't matter how often you say it, this game has to be enjoyable for everyone, including yourself. innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for your post @Cleoriff 

I know how much you, and everyone, enjoys WHD and, as I want the game to run as smoothly as possible and have no idea how difficult it going to be running the game or what problems might arise, I will take your advice and I will ask for a break and call for a STOP when necessary so I can give a full Update list. 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 23

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4304 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo ... I should be able to join at some point but may be slightly later arriving

Another suggestion..... Maybe a list with fewer words just for the first game if that's possible.  Maybe 40+ words instead of the usual 70+ and we can have regular stops.  That way you may not be under so much pressure.  If all goes fine, then back to normal next week.   Just a thought.

Message 4 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122372 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good @Mi-Amigo. It saves us guessing, which is what normally happens. If it takes longer then so what?

It's 'a marathon not a sprint'.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 23

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35225 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

A PAUSE for thought, always good to have, @Mi-Amigo 👍

Should be a good test of the Forum response times too - looking forward to it.

Message 6 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @BobM 

Hope you can join in the WHD game tomorrow - please see the note if you join in late.

I appreciated your suggestion about a small target for the first game. However, for each game I have to search out a suitable nine-letter word, find a grid and which is the red letter, and then make my list of the words in the source used for the game. As I`m sure you will understand all of this takes time and won`t have enough time to do this today ready for the game tomorrow. So, I am going to use the game which was ready for last Tuesday, but had to be postponed.

I`m sure, with a little patience and with everyone wanting WHD back and to have fun, we can have a usual game - even if it means the game may take a little longer than usual. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 23

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4304 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Thank you @BobM 

Hope you can join in the WHD game tomorrow - please see the note if you join in late.

I appreciated your suggestion about a small target for the first game. However, for each game I have to search out a suitable nine-letter word, find a grid and which is the red letter, and then make my list of the words in the source used for the game. As I`m sure you will understand all of this takes time and won`t have enough time to do this today ready for the game tomorrow. So, I am going to use the game which was ready for last Tuesday, but had to be postponed.

I`m sure, with a little patience and with everyone wanting WHD back and to have fun, we can have a usual game - even if it means the game may take a little longer than usual. 

@Mi-Amigo ... yeah, can understand that and who knows, it may be fastest ever game. 😀

Message 8 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff 

As you said, the game may well be a "marathon not a sprint", and I`m prepared should it run longer than normal.

Thank you @pgn 

Pleased you are looking forward to the game.

As you said, it may well be a good test of the Forum response times. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@BobM wrote:

@Mi-Amigo ... yeah, can understand that and who knows, it may be fastest ever game. 😀

@BobM 

That`s one challenge I won`t be taking up tomorrow 😂

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 23