Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well I didn't want to do that!

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

So I might have had a little accident with my phone earlier.

I was holding it behind me and I was standing in front of a radiator.

And I dropped it...

Guess what? My screen now has a large round crack where it hit the valve on the radiator.

Does anyone have any experience at replacing a screen themselves? Is it something I want to try? Where can I get a replacement from?

I have got a paid for bank account that includes phone insurance and they off a replacement (refurbished or similar model) for £100.

Should I try and replace the screen myself, get a local repair shop to do it or just use the insurance with my bank?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@gmarkj If you do it yourself and it goes wrong you'll end up with a doorstop, and it definitely isn't something I would attempt myself. £100 for a replacement from your bank doesn't sound a bad deal, but I suppose that depends on how old it is, how much the phone is worth and how much you like it. Have you asked a local repair shop to give you a quote?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Over the past 6 weeks, 2 family members have dropped and cracked the screens. One was an iPhone and Apple repaired that (expensive) The other was a refurbished Samsung and a local repair shop fied that for £80.

As @Bambino said though, it depends on the age of the phone, whether it's still in warranty etc etc.

I would never attempt a repair myself. Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
OLED = use insurance or repair shop.
LCD = cheap replacement displays so worth having a go.

That's my rule tho, and I have done countless displays thanks to kids and their "oh I dunno how it happened" lifestyle
Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

So the insurance doesn't offer repair (too old/can't get parts) and the replacement option is a Mate 20 Pro.
Local shops quote anything from £130 to £180 to repair.
Checking out my upgrade options and I would be interested in the Xperia 1 ii, but o2 want £33 per month on a 36 month contract - which is only 1Gb of data.
mobilephonesdirect have a refurb Xperia 1ii (apparently their refurb are returned change of mind phones) which is considerably cheaper (£60 up front and £28 pm for 24 months).
However, I took out an 18 month sim in March. So if I took the refurb option I would have to stump up for the remaining 14 months of the SIMO deal wouldn't I?
I can choose to "upgrade" to a 30 day SIM according to my upgrade options.
If I did this I could then move over to the new contract at much less cost.
Does that make sense/seem like it would work?

Edited to add - the mobilephonesdirect comes with 50Gb of data

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 5 of 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Seems like a good deal, and yes, the switch to 30 day sim would make it far cheaper as it is.
But....
The Xperia 1iii is literally weeks away from pre order, and when it does, o2 will drop the 1ii by a massive chunk
Message 6 of 9

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Cheers @viridis.
The release date for the iii according to a couple of articles is 19 August.
Or do you mean it will be available for pre order and that's when the price for the ii will drop?

Message 7 of 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yup, will drop on pre order imo.
I believe the MK1 went £200 off..
Message 8 of 9

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Ok.
So I'll wait to see what offers o2 have got on for the ii when the preorders open on the iii.

Message 9 of 9