cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wats app

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi , I am from the UK and i have been on holidays since Monday in the USA, i have just got my bill through and theres a extra charge of £42.50 for data , As soon as i arrived i turned my data roaming off and have only been using watsapp through wifi ? Can anyone help me ?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Hi, @Anonymous

Firstly you really should have turned data roaming and mobile data off BEFORE you travelled (not as soon as you arrived in the USA) . Did you have voicemail turned off as well as that will incur charges.?

Sending pictures will use mobile data and so more charges to you..

If you are disputing any of your bill then you must contact customer services and speak to them

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 145060 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Mobile data completely as well as data roaming should have been off.
As said you can discuss and dispute this with CS and you may get a goodwill gesture towards the bill but the reality is you have used data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi, @Anonymous

Firstly you really should have turned data roaming and mobile data off BEFORE you travelled (not as soon as you arrived in the USA) . Did you have voicemail turned off as well as that will incur charges.?

Sending pictures will use mobile data and so more charges to you..

If you are disputing any of your bill then you must contact customer services and speak to them

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Hi @Cleoriff   -  I have a very limited understanding of the workings of mobile phones.  You say "Sending pictures will use mobile data ..."  -  Is that an absolute?  If my phone is using a wifi connection and the Mobile Data is also on, will there be a charge for sending pictures?  Is there a setting to ensure that when a WiFi connection is  being used then Mobile Data is disabled,  or is that a stupid thing to ask?  You seem to have a way of getting these things simplified - perhaps it is your Trainer training coming to the fore!! wink   (perhaps I should add I am interested in this topic because one of my granddaughters is in the USA at present and has been using WhatsApp extensively (and hopefully exclusively) via WiFi.)

Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

No charge if sending on wifi and as long as you have wifi set to never sleep you won't have any problems.  With mobile data turned on, apps will update over that when wifi sleeps or if you are out of range of wifi.

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

No charge if sending on wifi and as long as you have wifi set to never sleep you won't have any problems.  With mobile data turned on, apps will update over that when wifi sleeps or if you are out of range of wifi.

Thanks @jonsie. A much better explanation than I would have given....(technophobically stumbling away) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Very many thanks @jonsie -  I will pass on that info to my granddaughter!  Hope u r having a pleasant time in Thailand.

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Thanks @jonsie. A much better explanation than I would have given....(technophobically stumbling away) LOL

You are too modest by half @Cleoriff!!!   Thank you too.  I do enjoy your contributions.

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Thanks @Anonymous Cheers

It's been a long day, got to Pattaya around 10 30 am. Her ladyship needed breakfast though I'd eaten on the plane but no worries. We have breakfast, mine consisted of two beers while she ordered what looked like something you find in the Bolton Animal Shelter....so she left half of it...wouldn't care but it was 4 quid!

So, I don't buy toiletries as they are cheaper here and it's a hassle carrying them from England. Needless to say, we go shopping and end up with all sorts of stuff for her and just shampoo, shower gel and toothpaste for me....I think she postponed her weekly shopping until I landed.....

So we shop....and she's hungry again....and other dip into the wallet for fish and prawns...Ok no problem. So check in the hotel, I shower and just want a couple of hours sleep. She wants us to go for a walk which will no doubt take us past more shops! So I get dressed and reluctantly arm myself with wallet and she decides she wants a shower...and wash her flaming hair! She says you go down to the pool and wait....been here an hour now relaxing with beers and daren't close my tired eyes....

An early night I hope....are we off topic yet?

20150911_103810.jpg

...oh and you've seen her hair, it's still being dried

Can some upright the image.....

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removed by me as OT apparently. 

Message 10 of 11