Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWDC14 Apple - my thoughts.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Apples Keynote time. slight_smile

They are eagerly anticipated nearly as much as new product launches.

Here are the snippets that have caught my eye and wet my taste buds........ wink

New toys ;

iPhone 6 - no mention.
iPad Air II - no mention.
MacBook Air - no mention.

New iOS 8 specs.

Refined notifications centre. Widgets can be added.

Tab view now on iPad like it is on the iPhone.

Composing messages improved as you can swipe it done to access other mail.

Lock screen improved to access messages.

Works with 3rd party apps like Facebook notifications.

Double tap on home button brings more access and features.

Spotlight vastly improved for better user experience.

Keyboard - quick type - predictive typing suggesting a as you type like the way android works. Learns how you type to suggest different ways you communicate with different people. Continuity I spoke about in the new Yosemite for the Mac is the same.

Messages improved ref group messaging. Name the thread. Add do not disturb to individual threads to stop notifications. Tap to talk helps with messages = audio messages.

Security improved.

Health Kit introduced.

Family Sharing - Set up family on iOS devices to share photos, calendars, reminders and findmyiphone with permission having to be given. All purchases can be shared. Up to z6 family members who share the same credit card but strictly managed by the credit card holder.

Photos - all photos in iCloud is available across all iDevices. Search introduced to smartly look for photos. Improvements to add auto cropping and straightening. Better photo editing to improve pictures taken.

Better priced extra Gb's storage costs. Still first 5Gb is free.

Siri - improved. Song recognition etc. better usage in a car.

No mention of split screens on an iPad. 😞

App Store to be improved. Explore Tab introduced. Faster scrolling. App bundles to be introduced. Buy multiple apps at a discounted price. App previews to be added to look st before buying. Test flight to be added. Dev's can invite users to beta test apps.

Now can install 3rd party keyboards on the iPhone and iPad.

Touch I.D - 3rd part apps now included. Finger prints data is never shared with them so it's safe.

HomeKit - Ways to turn on lights / locks / garage door unlocking via secure pairing. Siri can be used to lock your door !

Metal - 3D graphics for games. Gives games better access to the a7 chip. Looks amazing to bring console gaming experience to your iPhone / iPad. This is for developers. A zen garden will be available for free in the app store when iOS 8 is released. It looks awesome.

Available in the fall FREE.

OS X Mavericks is superseded for Macs.

New version is....... Yosemite.

New interface.

Continuity. Transitions as seamless as possible between iOS and Macs via airdrop. Handoff allows you to continue work on other iDevices.

More clarity and utility.

New style tool bars - more translucent.

New style dock and new icons.

Dark mode introduced.

New calendar functions. - Add's day view.

Lots of new specs and eye candy in the apps.

Notification Centre changed. Massive amount of tweaks now added to change the visualisation of it.
Drag and drop introduced to add what interests you.

Spotlight changed to add much more versatility.

U.I is improved vastly IMO.

Customisable Widgets.

iCloud Drive. Holds files and documents and syncs across all your content to all iDevices.

Mail is improved for syncing and improves push. Improves e mail with digital content. Large files helped by "mail drop" attachments can now be up to 5Gb in size.

Safari is improved to show one single bar. No need for a favourites separate bar as they now show up automatically when you start typing in the single search bar. Tabs improved. Birds eye view and stacks. Privacy improved to add private window. All round improvements to its code.

Markup feature allows easy editing of images.

SMS is improved on the Mac to allow both iMessage and normal SMS.

Mac now accepts phone calls and can act as a speakerphone. You can dial a number from your Mac.

Cost to upgrade to this new operating system is FREE, yes FREE. slight_smile available in the fall to the public.

Is also available to non developers if you sign up for it. It's available now this way.
A good full write up on Yosemite.
Source ; iClarified
Yosemite :

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=41261

iOS 8 :

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=41263
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest there's only a few things there that appeal to me. The worst thing is predictive text - I hate the way Android works so I think I'll cry if Apple do the same! I'll stay on iOS7. Then again, if an iPhone 6 is released and and I decide to speed to refresh I suppose I'm stuck with it!
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
The new iPhone / iPads will be shipped with iOS 8 so perhaps yes unless you can turn off this new feature. I'll keep an eye out on the beta developer threads and let you know @Anonymous

wink
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks BoB. I'm sure there will be enough to tempt me to ios8 when it happens!
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too. wink
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I'm the person who wasn't ever going to have an iPhone and as soon as I tried one I preferred it!

(Disclaimer - I'm not saying iOS is better than Android, it's now my personal preference!)
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
For those that watched the Apple keynote yesterday evening and caught sight of the new wallpapers and liked them then here they are for download.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/02/download-ios-8-os-x-yosemite-wallpapers/

Source : idownloadblog
Message 8 of 21

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
To be honest there's only a few things there that appeal to me. The worst thing is predictive text - I hate the way Android works so I think I'll cry if Apple do the same! I'll stay on iOS7. 

@Anonymous I would expect the ability to install third party keyboards will mean you won't have to worry about that.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Link to show compatibility chart for iOS 8

Source : Apple.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/
Message 10 of 21