Travel tips

Pipstop78
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 553 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

1) Get insurance which covers you if you get covid whilst your on holiday 

2) take a clean plastic carrier in your suitcase for your dirt washing 

3) make sure you book tickets in advance for places you want to visit like swimming pools etc 

4) take advantage of the food at breakfast keep some with you for the littles ones to eat instead of buying it

4) take your phone for memories of your holidays

5) book your next holiday in advance

6) don't forget suntan lotion don't want to get burnt

7) book a car before you go 

😎 only carry a small bag when sight seeing

9) drink only bottle water

10) Scope out your flight seat in advance. 

11)Freeze a sponge as a DIY ice pack

12). Keep an extra pair of underoos, some socks and a spare top in your carry-on bag so that if your luggage goes walkabout you've at least got another day of clothes handy

13)

Double check if your bank charges for using your credit or debit card whilst abroad. If it does then you could consider grabbing a pre-filled money card

14)Eat like a local. Try to avoid restaurants right next to tourist spots (unless that's exactly what you're looking for). Head a few streets away and you're likely to find quieter, cheaper and often more authentic places to eat.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Some great tips there @Pipstop78!
I always have to remember myself to get the sunscreen lotion before I leave home. 

That 11th tip is superb, never thought about freezing a sponge and using it as an ice pack, great idea!

I always prefer to try and eat like a local wherever I am. If I have a friend living in the place I'm visiting, I will ask them for recommendations of where they and their mates usually go on weekdays for a bite. 

Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

I will add-

Only turn left on a plane, and never unless you have to turn right...  

Always pay in the local currency, never accept a conversion

Try and learn some of the language saying Boker Tov or Bonjour or Guten Tag, will go a long way

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hey @Pipstop78 

Very good points

Excellent starter point take up the best insurance cover don't be mean you'll be sorry if you need it.

Bottle Water 

Adding clean teeth with bottled water too.

I always only eat cooked food. Avoiding green leaves etc because of contamination in water.

Leave behind in safe place precious jewellery pieces, don't need them and the worry.

Take great care of your passport.  This is a valuable asset. 

Really enjoy your holiday 😀 

Thanks

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 8

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I definitely live by 2, 10, and 12 @Pipstop78 

I would add to always check the plug type/voltage where you're headed.

But my number one thing is don't overthink it! Sometimes it rains the whole week. Sometimes that tour isn't want you thought it'd be. Sometimes you just don't feel like running around while on holiday. Take it in stride, enjoy what you enjoy doing, and don't hold yourself to the "on holiday" standard of doing and seeing everything. 

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122985 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Great tips @Pipstop78 

I'd like to add Wifi. (If you are staying in a Hotel or Apartment)

I'm looking at this from a slightly different perspective. We bought an apartment in Spain 35 years ago and sold it before Covid hit the world. How lucky were we?

So as we let it out to people I knew, or those that my cleaner knew, I made sure I added those touches which made my apartment a bit special,

Wifi + (Wifi box attached to the TV,) The Wifi box allowed guests to watch loads of TV channels including Sky Sports and Films. Also all UK channels. Wifi on its own can be used on your phone and save your allowances.

I made sure there was UHT milk, Bottled water, Coffee, tea and sugar. Nothing worse than landing late and being unable to have a cuppa. (The water from the tap was fine for the kettle incidentally) Nowadays in the tourist areas of Spain, the water is absolutely as clean as in the UK.

I had a Air Con box which was used and paid for by clients. if they wanted air con then they put a euro in the locked box... it could be stopped at any time.

The apartment had a washing machine, microwave and a full size cooker (Remember I had people who were winter lets and probably there from November to March.)

Suncream.... I had loads in the hall cupboard Also anti mosquito creams and sprays.

I had a lockable safe inside the wardrobe.

So my apartment was fully let (Except when I booked it for me) 😂

So just to say, I think any booking you make, needs to have Wifi in your accommodation.

Just a tip when you have a limited luggage allowance. Wear as much as you can for the flight (A way to beat Ryanair) 😂 Take a bag for life inside your hand Luggage, Whist queuing  for the plane take off excess clothing and pop it in the bag. Et Voila.😎

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Comben
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks Pitstop78 for posting these tips and thanks to everyone else who has added.

There are some epic tips here! The sponge in the freezer has blown my mind but the turning left on an aeroplane is confusing me?

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious"
Albert Einstein
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Comben wrote:

Thanks Pitstop78 for posting these tips and thanks to everyone else who has added.

There are some epic tips here! The sponge in the freezer has blown my mind but the turning left on an aeroplane is confusing me?

Turn left on a plane and you end up in first class!?

Message 8 of 8