The White Room Seasonal Quiz 1 - The 12 ?? Of Xmas

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s Quiz is the White Room Seasonal Quiz 1 - The 12 ?? Of Xmas

[part of 🎅🏻 🎄 Christmas On The Community] 

Instead of the usual eight questions, there are 12 questions - with one question from each of these categories

NATURE   WORDS   FOOD & DRINK   SPACE   PLACES   LITERATURE   EVENTS

TV             ART         SPORT                 MUSIC   HISTORY

with each question based on one of the gifts in "The 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS"   

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Wednesday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Thursday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff   @pgn   @jonsie   @MI5   @gmarkj   @Anonymous  @LukasB   @Martin-O2  @Marjo 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TWELVE QUESTIONS

There is no question is a QI-style question, in which the answer is not what most people think.

Q1 PARTRIDGE [nature] Where do grey partridges and red-legged partridges build their nests?

Q2 TURTLE DOVES [words] The term "turtle doves" owes its origin to what? 

Q3 FRENCH HENS [food & drink] French hens barbezieux are native to which region of France?

Q4 CALLING BIRDS [space] "Early Bird" was a US satellite with "calls" between N America and Europe

What was the official name of the "Early Bird" satellite?

Q5 GOLD RINGS [places] Gold rings for the Royal weddings of Elizabeth II, Diana, Kate, and Meghan

were all made from gold mined from which Welsh mine? 

Q6 GEESE [literature] "The Fox And The Geese" is a German folk tale in a 1815 collection of stories.

What was the title of the collection of stories? 

Q7 SWANS [events] Swan upping takes place annually on the River Thames between Sunbury and

Abingdon on which month of the year?

Q8 MAIDS [tv] In the TV series "Downton Abbey" who played the characters Anna, head housemaid,

and Gwen, the underhousemaid? [star for both; half star for one correct answer] 

Q9 LADIES [art] Which Spanish painter painted "Las Meninas" [Ladies-in-waiting] in 1656?

Q10 LORDS [sport] In July 2020, it was announced that cricketer Ian Botham was to be made a peer.

Three other cricketers have been made a peer [not hereditary]. Name one of them

Q11 PIPERS [music] "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was the debut studio album of which English

rock band in 1967?

Q12 DRUMMERS [history] Apart from drumming to regulate the marching of soldiers, what important

role did drummers play during the American Civil War?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Wed 16 Dec] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday 17 Dec]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Fri 18 Dec.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Wed 16 December 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thurs 17 December 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 17 December will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" and take part in this quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

12 correct      10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers          answers       answers      answers      answers

diamond-thinker.jpggolden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg    bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Diamond         Golden         Silver         Bronze              Red

Thinker           Thinker       Thinker      Thinker           Thinker

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yikes Fear

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

How brilliantly thought out @Mi-Amigo The Twelve Days of Christmas. Well done you!

Having praised you for it...all I can say is O.M.G.!!!! joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 67

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

How brilliantly thought out @Mi-Amigo The Twelve Days of Christmas. Well done you!

Having praised you for it...all I can say is O.M.G.!!!! joy

Thank you @Cleoriff 

I`ve had the idea of a WRQ based round the 12 Days of Xmas for sometime and was fun searching out the questions. I know some questions are not easy but then there were also the questions I chucked out as being too difficult Thinking

Good luck, everyone. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 67

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Fat lot of use me studying up on Co ice, Concorde, Packham's and Clapp's recently - the damn tree is missing! LOL

Great twist on a WRQ, @Mi-Amigo- Well done! 

Now, about those answers... Thoughful

Message 5 of 67

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Gingerbreadman Thinker here I come

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@LukasB wrote:

Gingerbreadman Thinker here I come

A new one every time for you @LukasB joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 67

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Wow those are some questions, and I bet they took a bit of digging to find too!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 67

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Mince Pie thinker for me slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Mince Pie thinker for me slight_smile

Just eating two of those as I write smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 67