The Holidays crafts thread!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

christmas-decor-glitter-handmade-518225.jpg

Although it's quite easy to find beautiful decorations and presents in shops, it can be so much more personal, special, and frankly fun to make some of these at home christmas_tree

Whether you make your own cards, tinsel, wreath, baubles, or even presents, we want to know all about it! I've only decorated cards so far year on year but I learned to crochet recently so I'm hoping next year I'll be able to start making some scarves and hats to gift for the holidays ...

Here you can share your tips, tricks, experience or aspirations in terms of crafts: so let the crafting begin!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

It seems a long time since I ever did anything like this.

My mum taught me how to knit, so years and years and years ago I would occasionally knit pretty cardigans for my Mum and aran jumpers for Dad. They would be given at Christmas and worn with pride lol

I used to knit a lot back then, so the boys always had knitted jumpers and friends would ask for hats, scarves (and even tank tops) in the 70's.

Then knitting went out of fashion and life got in the way so the knitting pins disappeared.

When I was a ward sister, I made a lot of decorations by hand for the ward. They ran a competition for the best decorated tree on any ward and we won 4 years in a row. Though one year a jobsworth Health and Safety officer claimed our tree was a fire risk as I 'used too many lights'. He got short shrift from me when I told him my husband (an elecrtician) had personally checked all the lights and if he wanted to moan he best get himself to London and check the lights in Trafalgar Square!!

We also gave presents to every patient who was unlucky enough to be in the ward at Christmas. We had a Christmas kitty to collect money for these little gifts. The nurses put money in as did the doctors and I was a real nag with the consutant surgeons stating they had money to throw away, so they were very generous.joy

I would give one of my nurse time off to go and buy the presents then I brought them home and wrapped them. Tried to make them look as beautiful as possible, with lots of ribbon and glued on tiny baubles.

A real pleasure to give these little gifts to our patients on Chistmas morning.

However, that was then and this is now....and today I don't do anything 'arty crafty' for anyone. I loved it when I did years ago though...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember cutting up last years cards to make this year's as a kid, but that's about as crafty as I ever got!

(This may or may not be the truth) wink

Message 3 of 19

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not crafty at all, get in a mess with just wrapping paper and sticky tape myself! joy

However, I did 'create' a free festive gift box for a food hamper this year...  Where the supermarkets keep the used fruit & wine boxes, free to take for storage/house moves etc, I saw a nice tall box with christmas trees and stars on it, with a red background, in good quality card and print as well.  I guess it ws probably used for wrapping paper rolls given it's size.  Anyway, bought that home, cut it down to exactly the right size and it's made a really nice, proffessional looking gift box.  Even surprised myself with it!! yahoo 

Message 4 of 19

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Closest I’ve come to doing any form of Christmas crafts this year are some Lego decorations I have in the living room

There’s a Lego present that opens out into a Christmas house scene and a Lego festive train

Message 5 of 19

mahj
Level 3: Thinker
  • 75 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That’s so lovely @Cleoriff (how do I tag please?!). Please know that these ‘little gifts’ you prepare mean so much to our special little ones. As a regular hospital goer due to my little one’s health, you’ve no idea how happy these gestures make them (in general, not just at Christmas). And just because it’s come from you guys at a time when they least expected and they were too caught up worrying their little heads about their day, it ends up being their favourite pressie and the one they’ll talk about for days ❤️ Thankyou for doing what you did slight_smile
Message 6 of 19

mahj
  • 75 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeyy it tagged! 😄💃🏻😎
Message 7 of 19

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

Always loved art and crafts.  As a family always made things girls dressmaking knitting /crochet and boys learned knitting too as well as making bed for pets etc. models from balsa wood planes and boats. . My father had a wood lathe and made turned wooden items.    As a fly fisherman he made his own flies, rebound and varnished  his Hardy rods.   The philosophy at home was ~  be as practical as possible and enjoy doing as much yourself as you can.  Very early days my family made some of the Christmas Decorations.  I have enjoyed glass painting and ceramic painting put in a kiln, when finished the flat ceramic discs with the paintings on are then framed for gifts and for own home.  I am a keen Watercolour Artist and have painted my friends' pets for gifts.  During Christmas there would be lots of crafting, making and diy, a holiday was a good time to do these things.  Still do as much as possible and enjoy every minute.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks @mahj wink

I wasn't on the childrens ward though, mine was male and female trauma.

The childrens ward had a visit from Santa, who was one of the consultants... and presents handed out by him.

Whatever their age, people do not want to be in hospital for Christmas, so we did the same for everyone. No matter how old they were  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 19

mahj
  • 75 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Exactly, and adults would defo not have expected it slight_smile
Message 10 of 19