Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Beach ‌🏖

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2166 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Walking barefoot along the beach, sandals in hand, in the shallow waters,  enjoying myself in my own quiet way ..... this has been a pleasure for me since a little kid ... collecting razor shells off Bridlington's golden sands ... when in Sharjah, UAE United Arab Emirates, found many shiny fan shaped shells which are displayed at home in my Gran's green willow basket. The sand there was very soft with no tides in the Gulf.

mohsin-5nV92BGm1oc-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Mohsin on Unsplash

Sandcastles and sand pies where all 4 of us had a family holiday on the East coast of Yorkshire: Hornsea, Whitby, Filey and Scarborough. Dad would go for a tray of tea for him and mum. My sister and I enjoyed an ice cream. Mum made us matching beach-robes and beach blanket in bright yellow terry towelling - it had a sea shell design.

Some beaches were pebbles - Hastings and the North beach at Bridlington. I have some of these as 'found material' in large jars and my own made pottery dishes displayed in my work room. 

rebecca-campbell-eUU_r7q_iUo-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Rebecca Campbell on Unsplash

In my later years I realised that walking barefoot on the beach made the soles of my feet smooth. 

It is an enjoyable experience going to the seaside for me and taking in the sea air. I managed a few days away in May to the Cumbrian coast, with a lot of support.

My son as a little kid also enjoyed the beach, making sand pies and castles at Southport and the Yorkshire resorts I have mentioned above. He had fun putting up a deckchair.

When your mum made you bring a bucket of sea water to wash over your sandy feet and dried between your toes ... Yes, I remember it well. 🏖

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Well that certainly does remind me indeed "sand between your toes" @RunrigForever 

That is quite awful in a nice sort of way.

Very enjoyable read and thank you for the Summer Beach 

Enjoyment was arriving at the beach with very colourful bucket and spade.  All day spent running in and out of the sea which was rolling it's large waves and crashing to shore.  Watching your feet as it returned and left your feet in a sandy hole, returning most definitely with sandy feet!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 19

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4406 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nice to read @RunrigForever - good memories.

Living on a farm and nowhere near any beaches made going to the seaside a rarety and also a treat for me.

On the rare occasion of going there in my young day, (during a holiday to Whitby or Scarborough if I recall) my earliest recollection is going back to our caravan with burning skin after spending the whole day in the sun at the beach.  I'm guessing it was before things like sunscreen and can remember having calamine lotion slapped on every bit of red skin.  Problem was if put on too thick it set similar to a plaster cast then it was even more painful to remove it.

All in all though, good memories  for me too. 👍

Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I love beach pictures @RunrigForever  and as a child we spent our holidays at my Aunts who lived 'up north' at a mining village called Seaham Harbour, County Durham. Beautiful beaches along that coast and we visited most of them.

seaham.jpg

When I had my own kids there were plenty of beaches we visited all over the country. It was then I realised I wasn't that keen on spending sunny days on the beach. Sand everywhere, picnics spoilt etc etc worrying about the kjds in the sea, jelly fish and all those sort of things 😂

So lets just say, I love walking on the beach and maybe a paddle.

We had a lovely beach near our apartment in Spain. We took our grandson there a few times but as he grew older, he said he wasn't keen on the beach, he preferred the pool by the apartment.

Thanks for posting @RunrigForever it brought back some lovely memories.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

RunrigForever
  • 2166 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @TallTrees @BobM @Cleoriff for sharing your memories of the beach xxx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 5 of 19

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35918 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

DSCF1178.JPG

Island Bay, between Delimara point and Marsaxlokk, on the south east of the island of Malta.

The bay, accessible by boat, if waterskiing was your thing, or by scrambling down the narrow path below the road in the foreground...

Rocky, but about 6m deep and clear as crystal - and you could walk around, below the cliff, to Cyclops' Eye, the opening visible beyond the boats anchored in this pic! 

This was a treat for us as children, as it was about 20mins' drive from home, the last 5mins down a bumpy, potholed goatherder's track to the top of the precarious path down to the rock shelf and the "island" below that was ideal for sunbathing on, or just jumping off into the aquamarine sea... And flippers and a mask and schnorkel meant you could swim straight across to the Eye and see wonderful shoals of fish on the way 😃🩳

This photo taken in July 2009, memories from 1979 or thereabouts.

Good topic, @RunrigForever!

Message 6 of 19

RunrigForever
  • 2166 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What a lovely memory and photo @pgn Thank you for sharing X 

***DESORMAIS***
Message 7 of 19

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Good memories indeed @RunrigForever. There's just something about that sea breeze that makes your soul feel better. 

This is my favourite beach on the island of Borneo (fear I live too far away to visit again). Nothing like waking up to the sound of the waves. 

27912850_10215446309574841_8576049898077489563_o.jpg

Message 8 of 19

RunrigForever
  • 2166 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What a lovely picture @Breanna I agree with you about the sea air x

***DESORMAIS***
Message 9 of 19

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Lovely topic @RunrigForever, thanks for sharing it with us. Loved to read all the other memories shared by @BobM@Cleoriff@pgn and @Breanna.

I grew up in Sao Paulo, Brazil and although we don't have a beach there, we're one hour drive from some of my favourite beaches ever. I grew up going to those beaches on every summer holiday and have many fond memories of going with my family as a kid and then with my mates as a teenager. 
IMG_2B2464BC55ED-1.jpegIMG_6761EF5BB6EF-1.jpeg

Also, when I've moved to the UK, I lived in Bournemouth for 8 months and even though I'm a city boy, I really liked to live by the sea for a while:

IMG_CE43D93A2570-1.jpeg

Again, thanks for making us all reminisce about our beach memories @RunrigForever slight_smile
(All pics by me btw 😊)

Message 10 of 19