cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech News : Google wants you to easily share files between Android and iOS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : Google wants you to easily share files between Android and iOS.

Excerpt from the Link "As handy as services like AirDrop or Android Beam may be for shuffling content between nearby devices, they're platform-exclusive. That's not much help if you want to share photos from your Android phone to an iPhone, or vice versa. However, Google may soon overcome that barrier. Android Police, Techaeris and GigaOM all have evidence of Copresence , a service that would let Android and iOS devices swap content over WiFi . Reportedly, it uses location data (including Bluetooth) to set up the connection; after that, you can send directions, photos and other info without having to either bump devices or rely on cloud storage options like Google Drive or Dropbox. The technique shouldn't require a Google account, either."

My thoughts :

Different avenues to allow content transferring between devices / OS Platforms can only be a good thing and help a person not being suck in any particular Eco system or hesitate when thinking of changing platforms.

Source : Engadget.

Read more : Google wants you to easily share files between Android and iOS

image.jpg

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the flip side:

Apple does not want you to share files between iOS and Android easily. They also don't seem to want you to share between iOS and iTunes easily! 

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have issues between iOS and iTunes 😉 and Apple did create -> Move content from your Android phone to iPhone <-http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT6407 this guide to transfer from Android to IOS , however I think they should have created a flip side and added how to move content from iOS to Android, but back in the real world I don't see that happening anytime soon. 😒
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I took from the article is that Google want to make it easier to share to iOS  devices, not transfer settings, etc.

I would regard that as them saying that they want to make it easier for a group of friends to share a file between their devices, direct from the OS rather than having to use an app.

In my view this is what MMS, or Bluetooth were for back in the day, but obviously people are sharing more and larger files. You quoted Airdrop and that is the sort of service/feature that should have an industry standard so that all manufacturers can utilise it, making it easier for us to share files.

Message 4 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Samsung got it covered http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/
along with Sony http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/apps-services/xperia-transfer/from-iphone-or-ipad/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Back of the net.....

....shed slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Back of the net.....

....shed slight_smile

And there you have it...again...a net shed...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit