cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech News : Apple rumored to stop using problematic TLC NANDs in iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Apple rumored to stop using problematic TLC NANDs in iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Excerpt from the Link : "A couple of days ago, reports started popping up on the Internet that many iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners with 64 and 128GB variants were facing random bootloops and crashes. It was reported by BusinessKorea’s “industry contacts” then that the problem was with the triple-level cell (TLC) used by Apple in the new higher capacity variants of the iPhone.

The website is now reporting that Apple has decided to stop using the problematic TLC based NAND chips on the new iPhones and will instead switch back to MLC based NANDs. Apparently, the problem with the TLC chips lies in their controller IC that is rumored to be manufactured by Anobit — an Apple owned company."

My thoughts :

This is going to be interesting to watch and thought it was a good heads up for owners of higher capacity iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Source : iphonehacks
Read more : http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/apple-tlc-nand-iphone6-iphone6-plus.html

Excerpt from the Link :

My thoughts :

Source : iphonehacks
Read more : http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/apple-tlc-nand-iphone6-iphone6-plus.html
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Until there is an official statement... this is just a rumor but thanks for sharing BoB

If this is true, do you think that Apple is planning to replace all the Iphones 6 that have already been sold with TLC ?

Message 2 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If this is true, do you think that Apple is planning to replace all the Iphones 6 that have already been sold with TLC ?

Yes, heard a rumour here that they are replacing them with the Samsung Alphas and Notes 3 and 4 Whistle

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Until there is an official statement... this is just a rumor but thanks for sharing BoB

Hi @Anonymous 

A fair point .......it is rumour at this point. 

It is going to be interesting as times goes with this one. I think Apple would deal with this on an individual basis.

ie if a customer made a Genius Bar appointment with a re booting issue and had the iPhone 6 and 6+ higher capacities then they would imo swap it out.

But until they had the batches of iPhones with the different flash technology I'm sure some customers wouldn't have confidence.

Plus I'm not sure how a person would know the replacement had the different flash technology.

Message 4 of 4