Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swatch Fights Back?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

At the moment Swatch currently accounts for 18% of watch sales but with the advent of smartwatches this figure will probably drop.

Obviously, with this in mind, they are to introduce models that can make contactless payments and display data sent by smartphones.

These models will make use of NFC and Bluetooth

The Swiss company's chief executive said the first of the tech-enhanced timepieces would go on sale in May.

But he said he had no plans to sell the kinds of fully featured smartwatches being offered by Apple, Motorola, Pebble and others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31857418

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Good article @Cleoriff Might be a good alternative for people who don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on an accessory, and just want to see if having a watch like that is necessary.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree @Bambino  I don't know how successful Swatch will be with this strategy but at least they have realised the 'threat'.

As the article says, the luxury watch manufacturers like Patek and Cartier wont be entertaining the idea (obviously they don't need to)...Apparently Tag Heuer are releasing details of their smartwatch later this week...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Some traditional watchmakers will feel the need to play catch-up, some won't. I'm very fortunate to have a very good watch, and really have no need for another, other than for something that would be no more than a gimmick. I also think the prices for these smart watches will reduce drastically and very quickly once everyone gets on the bandwagon. Certainly at the moment, they're not for me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Some traditional watchmakers will feel the need to play catch-up, some won't. I'm very fortunate to have a very good watch, and really have no need for another, other than for something that would be no more than a gimmick. I also think the prices for these smart watches will reduce drastically and very quickly once everyone gets on the bandwagon. Certainly at the moment, they're not for me.

I am not a fan either. In a previous life (nursing) normal watches weren't allowed. Then when I did a bit of agency work in Nursing homes I needed a watch without a catch/strap so I could get it off my wrist quickly in an emergency.... Cuff bangle was the way to go...I have stuck with those since (Mind you, I have to buy from the USA ....due to limited stock of the type I like here in the UK) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There was a time when Swatch was the brand for the very same people who will now no doubt want a smart watch. I did read that Swatch were starting a new campaign although to be honest it isn't a brand that I ever found myself attracted to. I have two very nice watches that tell me the time and the date and various other unused functions, they look smart and have served me well over the years.

I have decided that as novel as a smart watch is, it is just one more thing to worry about charging, one more gadget to dismiss all notifications on and is more of a talking point than any real benefit.

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's interesting @jonsie I know you trialled the Samsung smartwatch and liked it....have you decided now against buying one?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's interesting @jonsie I know you trialled the Samsung smartwatch and liked it....have you decided now against buying one?

Yes, whilst it was very novel and fun, I can't see any way I would use this as opposed to my phone. OK I can send text messages to people by speaking to my wrist and dictating the message but you can do that easily from your phone these days. Got some strange looks and some very good laughs in the pub last weekend demonstrating it to my son and notifications are useful without taking the phone out of your pocket outside but I find £300 a high price to pay for the little benefits that you get.

Message 8 of 8