Did you mean: 

Summer movie discussion

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I thought I'd do something a bit different this month from the usual style movie discussion we have on the community.  Rather the discuss what's in the cinema of hitting the streaming services lets take a look back at the summer blockbusters over the past 45 years! 

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 16.05.18.png

Below is a list of the worldwide highest grossing Films from 1975 to 2022. I want you to pick 3 movies from the list and choose one to add to the following: 

• One you dislike so much you would delete all copies and references to the film from existence
  • One that you would remake with a director and actors (dead or alive) of your choice (feel free to name)
  • One that you would pick to be available in the cinema all year round for all time as is with no changes 

Thanks to IMDB for the list (Pandemic years missing from list)

Jaws (1975)

The Omen (1976)

Star Wars (1977)

Grease (1978)

Alien (1979)

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Back to the Future (1985)

Top Gun (1986)

Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Ghost (1990)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Lethal Weapon 3 (1992)

Jurassic Park (1993)

The Lion King (1994)

Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)

Independence Day (1996)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Armageddon (1998)

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

Mission: Impossible II (2000)

Shrek (2001)

Spider-Man (2002)

Finding Nemo (2003)

Shrek 2 (2004)

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)

Avengers Assemble (2012)

Iron Man 3 (2013)

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

Jurassic World (2015)

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Despicable Me 3 (2017)

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

I'll go first... 

One you dislike so much you would delete all copies and references to the film from existence

Grease (1978) I'm not a fan of musicals at all and despite this the songs from this film get suck in my head to this day so off to the void with you!

One that you would remake with a director and actors (dead or alive) of your choice (feel free to name)

This is the hardest choice for me but if it came down to it I'd love to see the Star Wars prequels remade but with a much darker feel. Directing Paul Verhoeven with a young Oscar Isaac as Anakin Skywalker and keeping Ewan Mcgregor as Obi Wan as he's the perfect fit for the role. 

One that you would pick to be available in the cinema all year round for all time as is with no changes 

Alien (1979). This is one of the first movies that introduced me to both sci fi and horror and it's perfectly done. Great cast, script and the effects still stand up today and really show that less is more sometimes when it come to monster movies. 

Would love to hear your picks in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Comben
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

This sounds right up my alley, I'm excited to share my answers but first I need to address Grease being thrown into the abyss by Martin... I can't believe you don't like that film or even musicals in general. Grease was one of my first West End productions I was taken to as a kid so I guess it holds a special place in my heart.

One you dislike so much you would delete all copies and references to the film from existence

Any and all Star War films, but if I need to be specific probably Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) as I know this to be quite a popular one. The reason for this is oddly because it's too popular for it's own good and people judge you when you say "it's not for me" or "I didn't like it". It success has driven this franchise to grow so much that there is a Star Wars religion, a language and even tv shows and reboots all over the place, so I would just prefer it not to exist.

One that you would remake with a director and actors (dead or alive) of your choice (feel free to name)

Remaking any older film from this list is sure to cause a small amount of uproar from the purists who like the classics but for me it has to be E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). The film is a cult classic that my children just don't appreciate, maybe a fresh new reboot is just what this film needs to ensure it stays in the hearts for years to come. Maybe The Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things) as the directors with new child actors/actresses that are hand picked for the reprised film.

One that you would pick to be available in the cinema all year round for all time as is with no changes 

When it comes to a film I'd watch over and over again it has to be The Dark Knight (2008), because Christopher Nolan and the superb cast bring this epic film alive. When the pandemic progressed on and on, it left cinemas with no new films to play, so my local theatre put Covid Safety measures in place and started showing old films on the cheap. The Dark Knight (2008) was one of them, so I went back and watched this 3 times during the year showing just how much I love this film.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious"
Albert Einstein
Message 2 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Martin-O2 

I have seen some of these.

I liked "Finding Nemo" ~ it was on TV

Light Hearted, no need to concentrate! 

Cup of Coffee feet up ~ yes.

Thanks for the Summer on the Community Movie Discussion.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 10

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nice idea for a good discussion @Martin-O2 

Here are my opinions...

All of the Star Wars films, but as I have to chose one then Star Wars (1977) the first of a dreadful series

None. Never has been, never will be a remake which is anyway as good as the original - consider remakes

of The Italian Job, The Omen, etc. Yes I`m a purist so keep yer hands off brilliant movies.

The Omen (1976). A classic. Scared the hell out of me when I first saw it on my own at the cinema.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Remakes are never as good, absolutely true

@Mi-Amigo  The Italian job , so good fast moving good laugh too.  I  have seen that a few times and still like it.

@Martin-O2 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I would delete "Les Miserables "

and Oklahoma.  

@Martin-O2 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 10

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I'm not huge on movies so no opinion on remakes but Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favourites. 

And yes, @TallTrees, may Oklahoma be forever wiped from the earth. Now I've got a new song to replace the Teletubbies playing in my head...

Message 7 of 10

Comben
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've not heard of Oklahoma, but maybe that's a good thing! Dare I ask what it's about and why it's so bad?

Also Mi-Amigo - I'm so happy to see someone agrees about the Star Wars franchise... It should cease to be. And while I agree that on the whole remakes and reboots aren't ever as good as the original there have been a few occasions where there are better... Take the Christopher Nolan Batman series as an example of a great reboot and Ocean's Eleven is an example of a successful remake.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious"
Albert Einstein
Message 8 of 10

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@Comben As someone who's spent a fair amount of time in Oklahoma, maybe I just find all the singing about it to be a bit much. It did bring us the tune "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin" so not all bad. 

I'll second (or third) the Star Wars over-hype @Mi-Amigo, but maybe I just lack culture 😅

Message 9 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
  • Film to remove from existence

This is a nasty one, but will have to be Ghost (close second was Grease and then The Phantom Menace).

Just don't like it - not scary enough for the horror parts and too mushy for the rest. 

• One to remake

I think this would have to be Phantom Menace. The whole Jar Jar character *shudder* needs to be redone. They can also stay truer to the first trilogy and ignore the whole midochlorian rubbish!

Honorable mention to Alien and Independence Day (just the bit with the virus at the end).

• One for permanent cinema viewing

Jurassic Park. The velociraptors. The dilophosaurus. The T-Rex! Such a great film, with special effects that don't look out of place now. 

Could also watch the Dark Knight, Alien , Winter Soldier and Endgame again and again!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 10