Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@sheepdog 
I know 3 of those. Angela Rippon, Khrishan Guru-Murthy and Amanda Abingdon.

Amanda played Martin Freeman's wife in Sherlock.

As for the rest, I remain clueless. Pity about the judges, well the 2 females. I  had heard a rumour that Shirley was leaving. (no such luck it seems)

Any idea of the start date?

I know Stephen Mulhern is co-presenting with Holly Willoughby.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@sheepdog 

8th Contestant

Next celeb is Adam Thomas. I know him well as I watch Emmerdale and Corrie. Adam was in Emmerdale and now in Waterloo Road (which I don't watch.) He's a happy chap, always laughing and full of fun.

He also starred 'in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' where he came 3rd.

He will be a favourite of Motsi and Shirley as he is handsome with a great 6 pack 😂

scd Adam Thomas.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Just noticed a mistake in THIS post of mine.

My sonar mapping took a dive when I wandered into DOI. Of course I meant Stephen Mulhern will be co- presenting DOI with Holly. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

9th Contestant

Nikita Kanda (who's she?) is the 9th contestant announced today.

Nikita is a TV presenter and Radio host. She is best known for being the current host of the BBC Asian Network’s Breakfast show, previously having presented the Saturday afternoon show. She has interviewed everyone from Killing Eve star Sandra Oh, Bridgerton actors Kate Sharma and Charithra Chandran, to Marvel actress Awkwafina and global pop star Nick Jonas. Recently nominated for Presenter of the Year at the Asian Media Awards, Nikita has also fronted regular reports on BBC One’s The One Show on a range of topics from the rise of cashless businesses to government support for female sport. Rarely watch the One Show.

SCD Nikita Kanda.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Hmm, Adam Thomas face is familiar. Think he popped up as a supporter for one the past Celebz's on Strictly or DOI. Ah yes, spotted Stephen Mulherne is the replacement but lets hope he's doesn't turn into a clone of Philip presenting wise. But a thread for next year  🙂

That Nikita Kantdance (ah my inner cynicism is surfacing already) is really at the bottom of the ocean. Even name dropping the interviewees still doesn't mean anything to me. Guess she's the next new BBC presenter of all-sorts who needs a promo campaign and it doesn't get any better than Strictly. Providing she gets past the mid-way point. 

Last years' show started on the 23rd so I'd safely say that's the day as that would tie up each weekend to Christmas. Still to be announced is the obligatory Eastenders cast member, a sports man and/or woman who may either be a footballer or involved in the para-olympics. 

Message 6 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@sheepdog 

10th Contestant

BOBBY BRAZIER.

Famous for being the son of Jade Goody and Jeff Brazier. Now starring in Eastenders (which I don't watch) as Freddie Slater. Age 20. Last year he was on the model catwalk for Dolce and Gabbana. He may do well

SCD Bobby Brazier.jpg

11th contestant

Ellie Leach -

In Coronation Street as Faye Windass. Has grown up on the show and had a storyline where she had a baby at 13years and gave it up to the father and his parents. Her exit storyline was meeting her daughter and her old boyfriend again. He wanted them to be a family and live in Canada. Off she went. She is 22.

scd Ellie Leach.jpg

12th Contestant

Jody Cundy

A great paralympian who has won bronze, silver and gold for Team GB.

Jody became the first British male athlete to win medals at seven consecutive Paralympic Games at Tokyo 2020. Jody won gold along with Jaco van Gass and Kadeena Cox in the Mixed 750m Sprint C1-C5 and silver in the Men’s 1000m time trial C4-C5.

He always enjoyed cycling as a child but it was swimming where he excelled after taking up the sport at the age of 10. He made his international debut at the IPC Swimming World Championships in Malta in 1994, winning gold in the 100m butterfly S10.

SCD Jody Cundy.jpg

These 3 were revealed on Lorraine. Apparently another one  to be revealed on the same show tomorrow

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Hmm a bit heavy on the soaps this year with the 3 majors represented or twice in the case of Adam!

Still incredibly underwhelming this year, more than ever. But then again we haven't had a former politician for a long while and Boris Johnstone is available.  

Message 8 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@sheepdogsaid..

" Still to be announced is the obligatory Eastenders cast member, a sports man and/or woman who may either be a footballer or involved in the para-olympics"

You were spot on with those choices.

Up to now we aren't really top heavy with soap stars. Adam left Emmerdale about 3 years ago.  I notice Eastenders always has a current actor while Corrie and Emmerdale rely on those who have left. At least I know them! Hollyoaks don't seem to allow any of their 'beautiful people' to appear. (I don't watch that show either!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

13th Contestant

NIGEL HARMAN

Nigel’s acting career started when he was eight – working on multiple TV series, theatre shows, and the odd movie. Most recently joining BBC’s Casualty as Max Cristie, Holby ED's new Clinical Lead. Nigel was also in EastEnders playing Dennis Rickman and appeared in Downton Abbey. Among many stage credits Nigel has performed in Guys and Dolls in London’s West End and Shrek the Musical, which he then went on to direct for the UK tour. His film work includes roles in Blood Diamond, Telstar, and The Outsiders for ITV.

scd nigel.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 178