Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

@sheepdog wrote:

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

What do you have against Motsi? We have her on the German Version aswell and she is brilliant (the other two too, and as a team.... Funny as hell)

Previous series her appearances have been rather grating at times with her over the top reactions and scoring. I didn't mind her at first but she's taken the Bruno line in becoming an act over the actual role of a judge.  Hate to say it but Craig knows the line in the sand. Not that I was particularly complimentary towards Bruno either or the other judges historically. On the other hand, I've been quite complimentary on her this year with her fashion sense and at times she's been very good with comments though the biases were obvious especially towards Layton.

Don't forget I'm equally vocal (which is rather polite) on Tess and Claudia who way past their sell-by date. Doubt we'll see a change for Strictly 2024 as it enters its 21st year.

Message 171 of 178

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

My reply went away 🤯

I see what you mean. Sadly I can only see parts of some of the dances and no jury.

It was the same with René Casselly back in 2022, he comes from a circus family and is professional artist. I expect more of him as of a Michelin-cook, a bakery-influencer or an ex football player. 

He was hyped by the whole jury aswell as the public (and became dancing star 2022).

See:

René Casselly Paso Doble 

Very artistic (that was the beginning, it became more wild every show)

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 172 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123124 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 

I think that was an excellent showdance! However, I have a great love for the Paso, and nowhere should we see acrobatics and back flips. Not in a Paso.

We got this with Layton. He did very few actual ballroom dances and all his Latin dances were full of acrobatics

If the judges start overmarking people for gymnastics on the dancefloor then we lose the ethos of SCD.

Layton was also a show off. In no dance ever, should you try and outperform your professional partner.

I recently read the couple are performing shows all over the country. Nothing to do with the usual Strictly tour Oh no. This is a standalone show called Layton and Nikita.

Such a pity that the winners (Ellie and Vito) have had their title disregarded due to Layton and his fans who think he is the winner. (and were demanding an investigation post final 😖)

ELLIE and VITO Paso Doble SCD Final.

Actually the Paso in the Final won't post for some strange reason, so this is their Paso during the series. Probably the best Paso I've seen.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 173 of 178

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

Wow, they're really very good!

That one I posted was show 2, back then they didn't do that much accrobatics, but I can't find the other video I meant. It was like sitting in a circus tent.

Investigations - that's a pretty bad loser... 

That was our winning team:

Anna is the daughter of Boris Becker. And after that show everybody didn't saw her as "daughter of" anymore. She was my fav from show one on. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 174 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123124 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 

They are good. (No doubting whose daughter she is!)

I liked Boris back in the tennis days. Pretty unbeatable.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 175 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2233 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interesting to hear your thoughts & vid of your country's SCD @ComaChameleon and great to see Ellie & Vito's paso again @Cleoriff 

I shall miss you @sheepdog until SCD 2024 ..... unless you comment upon Dancing on Ice. Take care xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 176 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123124 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

You wont need to wait until the next SCD as @sheepdog posts on this thread as well 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 177 of 178

RunrigForever
  • 2233 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff for letting me know.

Thank you @sheepdog too.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 178 of 178