Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff @RunrigForever And the final show routines have been announced:

Bobby and Dianne:

Favourite Dance: Couple’s Choice to This Woman’s Work by Maxwell

Show Dance: La La Land Medley

Judges’ Pick: Samba to Young Hearts Run Free by Candi Staton

The samba judges pick is an interesting one to re-do compared to the other two finalists. Don't think it will do him any favours but he should enjoy it. CC as favourite, again maybe not a great choice for me as I'd like to have picked a ballroom. Perhaps that's what he is doing in the LaLa Land medley. One of the very few films I stopped watching halfway through as literally nothing happened and nothing memorable bar the opening number in the traffic jam. Which was really a big co-ordinated mess so lets hope his show dance isn't.

Ellie and Vito:

Favourite Dance: American Smooth to Ain’t That A Kick In The Head by Robbie Williams

Show Dance: Jennifer Lopez Megamix

Judges’ Pick: Paso Doble to Insomnia by 2WEI

Really odd choice for the judges pick. I thought it was a dance they wanted to see an improvement on rather than one that had no peers. Oh well, it's going to be a hard fought trio of dances for Ellie to pull off without tiring. I'm hoping the show dance isn't a repeat of last week's megamix in a street commercial vein. 

Layton and Nikita:

Favourite Dance: Argentine Tango to Tattoo by Loreen

Show Dance: Friend Like Me by Ne-Yo

Judges’ Pick: Quickstep to Puttin’ On The Ritz by Gregory Porter

So the show dance is basically going to be a rehash of last weeks Charleston in my mind:

Why do I get the feeling this dance is exactly what Layton's been doing in his free time for months and will not bring anything different to the show dance we haven't seen before? Oh we may get to see handsprings and jumps...

Can't say I wanted to see his AT again but I have no choice. Again, judges pick is a far too safe one and not one to demonstrate his improvement. 

So, looks like the show dances are going to be the differentiator this year and it could be down to who's got the most spectacular trick. Not that I'm going to casting my vote for Layton.

Show starts at 7pm and ends at 905pm so barring traffic, I may vote first then watch on iplayer whilst trying to avoid the tail end of the program when I'm due to come back!

Also, Cher is performing. Suspect it is going to be her latest Christmas ditty "DJ play a christmas song". That is the title and yes, the vocoder maxed to 11 is still present as it was in "Do you believe". In fact, you'll probably think it's really called "Do you believe it's Christmas time"

Message 161 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@sheepdog

Cher was on Graham Norton last week singing that song. I don't care, I've loved her since the 60's even though she has changed her face and body a million times. Great actor as well.

A varied amount of songs and dances. I honestly think this final is going to be between Ellie and the show off.

although Annabels fans have probably given their votes to Bobby so who knows?

I know the result is down to the public but I'm hoping the judges don't try and sway the vote AGAIN, by marking their favourite with 3 40's.  Or standing up clapping like blumming seals!! No bias at all.

Just knock 'em dead Ellie!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 162 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2342 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @sheepdog and @Cleoriff for your info and thoughts above xx

I too think it should be Ellie & Vito ... by ... a Long Way xx

But ... the judges don't always tell the truth about dancing ... = ... Shirley Ballas once commented that the alemana is a difficult step - it is a basic step in rumba and cha cha ... = ... the man does a back basic whilst the lady does a turn under his left arm ....... like when a bride and groom take to the dance floor at their wedding reception during their celebrations ... it is very misleading for such as Shirley to make, mis-informing those of the general public who do not dance Latin American ..... that's just one thing I remember of the judges and Shirley should know better !

7pm ... ? Saturday evening ... Bring it On ..... I shall rest up in the afternoon to make energy available to watch & vote for Ellie & Vito to lift the glitterball trophy 

Hope to see Nigel & Katya xx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 163 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

SCD The Final

Great opening number with professionals in Black and White. A surprise appearance by Amy which was lovely.

Finalists introduced into this opening number.

Tess and Claudia in bacofoil outfits. I preferred Claudia to Tess.

Judges looked ok, though not impressed with Motsi's outfit.

The finalists started with the

JUDGES CHOICE.

Ellie and Vito Paso Doble.

Absolutely superb, better than the first time. (I actually love that Insomnia track) Scored 39 (with Craig holding back from a 10 ...I wonder why?)

Bobby and Dianne. Samba.

Much improved dannce although not to the standard of Ellie Scored 39 (Mmmmm!)

Layton and Nikita. Quickstep.

I honestly didn't think this was as good as the previous two dances. However, the judges favourite Scored 40.

SHOWDANCE

Ellie and Vito.

Absolutely superb. Very brave dance with dangerous lifts. They pulled every single one off apart from the last one where Eliie didn't quite manage the stand on shoulders move. The judges praised them and said it was brilliant. They did mention that last lift which didn't quite come off but stated again and again about the brave, superb choreography and then Scored them 36. (I knew which way this was going)

Bobby and Dianne.

I didn't think there was anything outstanding about this dance if honest Scored 39. (Overmarked in my opinion)

Layton and Nikita.

Not particularly well synchronised. Layton doing his own thing with a lot of acrobatics. Not forgetting Nikita dropped his hat at the end. Scored 39.

FAVOURITE DANCE

Ellie and Vito. American Smooth.

Beautifully danced. Flawless really. Judges full of praise. Scored 40 (about damn time!)

Bobby and Dianne. Couples choice.

Another emotional dance. Such depth of feeling and danced well. Scored 39

Layton and Nikita. Argentine Tango.

I tried to remember the AT was originally danced with two men. However, I didn't enjoy this version. If honest, by this time and watching the judges bias I was probably fed up of them Scored 40

So total scores by judges although they were for 'advice only'

Layton and Nikita 119

Bobby and Dianne 117

Ellie and Vito 115.

The vote opened.

Cher was the guest artist. Yes, the Vocorder was turned up but her voice was turned down, so not good. Shame, as I love her usually.

The class of 23 was back with filler explaining about their journey (or not as it happens)

Did a group dance. The vote then closed.

A bit more filler and the results announced:

ELLIE and VITO won. ❤️

Delighted as this was well deserved.

See judges? Doesn't matter how hard you tried to get your favourite the glitterball. The public saw through your game and voted for the best dancer. That wasn't someone who dances for a living and should never have been on the show in the first place. The winner was someone who had never danced before.

Justice was served.

Well done Ellie and Vito. 😘

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 164 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So I managed to avoid the tail end of the program and avoided all possible clues to who won for two hours after the show had finished! That was quite hard in this day and age!

Wow, an opening number I really liked. More of this next series please. I see Tess is into sustainability by reusing last years Christmas bacofoil and you could still see the creases. Finally Claudia had a style that yeah, ok it was bacofoil but she carried it off well. Not so sure on the flares but I'll forgive her for that faux-pas. Judges intro dance moves showed why they are now judges and not dancers anymore. 

Ellie

1st dance: superb consistency and I'm sure the wrist breaking spin at the end was even better or may wasn't even in the first routine. 

Show dance: It's many many years since we've seen that many lifts and spins from anyone let alone from a female. An almost perfect show dance apart from the stumble at the end which just took the edge of an actual show dance we haven't seen attempted in many years. 

3rd dance: Can't say much about it except a perfect dance to end to her series. 

Bobby

1st dance: more Saturday Night Fever of a routine. Definite improvement then again, there's quite a few dances that would have elicited an improvement. 

Show dance: Going to be hard after Ellie's routine and sadly, failed to get anywhere near attempting anything resembling a show dance. Any other week - say musicals week - and that is a pretty good routine but way too safe and boring for the final. 

3rd dance: Quite enjoyed it though could have done without the emotional overload knob being turned up for the votes. 

Layton 

1st dance: Can't remember the first outing at all but this didn't seem that impressive in respect of his other dances. Have to say, the judges nominated both samba and salsa which may have got more respect as they were his weaker ones and deserved to done again as a mark of respect to the judges ethos in being an improvement dance. Yeah that's total sarcasm considering they tried to disguise his professional stage dancing career.

Show dance: I have a three word summary featuring a negative expletive. But I'll explain in more detail: it was a show dance in the literal sense but not a show dance we want in Strictly. It was almost a repeat of last weeks show dance but with a flip. Even that wasn't particularly impressive even more so as we've seen Ellie's routine. Given his ability, a complete disappointment in reverting to his comfort zone and his overall failing in the series. Is that his ego on the phone?

3rd dance: Hmm, neither yes or no for me. At this point, it's just rather routine series of moves we've seen all series. Utterly ridiculous remark from Anton talking about his career which is going straight back to the West End. 

Voting instructions brought to you by the BBC's desperate attempt in trying gain younger viewers by bringing back the show nobody asked for: The Gladiators. BBC then "forgot" to tell them when it's starting so killing the show before someone gets injured and the show is pulled quietly during filming. Arooga. Almost forgot, Olly Alexander popped up with no dress sense to tell us the UK is getting null points in Eurovision next year as he's been selected as the UK's entry. I'm still not watching it. 

Cher: I'll admit it, this was good even though I hate Christmas songs. She has mastered the art of miming over the years hasn't she 😎 Definite live sound issue, the iplayer replay was fine with the volume. Would have preferred if Sam Ryder was back singing his new and rather good Christmas song. 

The Class of '23 was back in a rather fun routine (without Amanda Abbingdon) with all their signature moves that got them voted off in the first place. High praise for the choreographers who put this together every year. 

@Cleoriff your summary is perfect 😍

Message 165 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2342 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just lost my post due to ineptitude / laptop playing up

Suffice to say justice was done & the right couple won

Thoroughly enjoyed the show with my own opinions

I did get to see a glimple of Nigel & Katya, my favourites xx slight_smile

Roll on the Christmas show on Christmas Day xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 166 of 178

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2209 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

What do you have against Motsi? We have her on the German Version aswell and she is brilliant (the other two too, and as a team.... Funny as hell)

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 167 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 
This year Motsi led the way with the judges complete and utter bias towards Layton. A dancer who performs professionally for a living.

SCD is primarily about non dancers who go on a 'journey' learning to dance. The best of those is hopefully declared the winner. Judges should never have favourites.

I'm pleased the public vote for the winner because they saw through the judges bias and so it backfired against Layton. Good job, as the winners (Ellie and Vito) were better all round dancers than him.

All I can say is, this sort of thing never happened when Len Goodwin was head judge.

Motsi spent far too much time spouting about the 'hate' Layton received on Social Media.

I belonged to 2 SCD groups on FB. On one group, if you didn't like Layton, you were accused of being racist and/or homophobic. Such rubbish.

I  just happened to think, with his background in dance, the BBC were more than stupid inviting him on the show in the first place.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 168 of 178

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2209 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

It's the same as our show, (like I'm a celeb... You have those shows always more early as we have it)

they all have favs here, but are still fair to others. 

This year we had a phantastic one, who was fav of the public aswell as the jury. I even voted for her 🙈

What nation is Layton? So why racist? His name sounds british?

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 169 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 

Layton Williams is English and born of mixed race parentage. He has been in the West End since the age of 7 when he played Billy Eliot. A bio HERE 

The judges were biased towards him from the start of the show. He had his fans of course but I wasnt one of them. Motsi was OTT about him and her comments were more gushing about him as the weeks went on. \he was usually overmarked. In the final (where the judges marks don't count) they did 3 dances and Layton scored top marks in two of the dances and 39 in the other one. Ellie and Vito were in 3rd place after the judges marking. You need to read our comments on the final to see what we thought about those marks and the dances.

Anyway, the point was, Layton dances professionally for a living, Ellie is an actress in Coronation St, Bobby is just starting an acting career. The judges bias was sickening. As good as Layton was, I rarely recognised any dance for what it was meant to be. He seemed to be fond of acrobatics.

However, common sense won out in the end. The public voted for their favourite couple in the final and Ellie and Vito won. I'm sure You Tube will show videos of both couples. However, you have to watch them remembering that Layton was a professional dancer at the start so it was never a level playing field.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 170 of 178